Notifications of issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrr_usty

Is it somewhere in the NEC, that if you find a code violation, that you are required to notify the customer in writing of the issue?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But there may be local rules in the licensing regulations that have that provision.
If so it may even extend to safety issues that are not code violations (grandfathered procedures for example.)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
ALthough not a code requirement, it would be a good practice. Try to do it in a way that does not look like you are just trying to drum up more work. But consider the scenario that the code violation becomes the reason that the house burned down. Now the owner can bring a lawsuit to your door, by saying that you knew about the problem and didn't tell the homeowner.

if you hold a license .. or work for a licensed electrical contractor.. i believe it is a matter of professional ethics to inform the customer of anything that may present a risk to their life or property, this comes from having been a first responder to a fire in an office building i was wiring a data center in. one of the crews from another company had mentioned to us to look out for the wiring in the floor above us. three weeks later that crew was working 2 floor down from us when a sub distribution center caught fire later it was determined the fire was caused by poor workmanship in the wiring when this distribution center was installed in 1997. 1 electrician and 2 IT cable technicians died that day. had the electrical contractor told the property owner of this unsafe condition on the floor above us he would have issued a stop work order due to the danger present. my crew.. and i had been told by our foreman to mind our own business or be fired. knowing what i know now.. were i able to repeat that day i would have stood up to him right there and informed the property owner losing my job yes but it would have saved 3 lives a job is not worth three lives being lost. by keeping silent.. i played a hand in costing three lives and i have to live with that every day

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is it somewhere in the NEC, that if you find a code violation, that you are required to notify the customer in writing of the issue?

All you have to ask yourself is do you want to explain the first code in your code book in court to an attorney?

90.1 Purpose.
(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is
the practical safeguarding of persons and property from
hazards arising from the use of electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.