Ceiling Fan Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Usually you can remove the switch itself put on a blank cover and mount the remote (holder) right to the blank cover.

This is what I did in my dining room....as a matter of fact, I bought an extra remote, set it to the same frequency and mounted it to the wall next to the other "entrance" to the room and created a "3-way switch" controlling both the fan and/or the light as wanted.
If that is the only lighting outlet in the room, you may be in violation of 210.70(A)(1), unless you can consider the remote as a wall switch control.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I've never seen or heard of a fan falling.

Saw 2 that had fallen due to set screw not tightened against downrod (like Hunter Original).

Only time I can remember stripped 8/32's causing "fall": The fan was hanging by it's wires (don't know if pretwisted at wire nuts). The customer called me saying that he couldn't use his fan because of wobble. Yes it would run but wobble is understatement.

Saw 2 that had fallen due to set screw not tightened against downrod (like Hunter Original).

Only time I can remember stripped 8/32's causing "fall": The fan was hanging by it's wires (don't know if pretwisted at wire nuts). The customer called me saying that he couldn't use his fan because of wobble. Yes it would run but wobble is understatement.

I saw 1 hanging literally by a (few)thread(s)....the mounting plate had been drywall screwed through the plaster into the lathe. When I got the call one screw was missing and the other.....barely holding on.

kwired

Electron manager
I've seen fans that were hanging from PVC boxes (non fan rated) for a long time with no performance issues.

I also once saw a fan that was mounted to an standard metallic octagon box that pulled down from the ceiling. The box was still secure to the fan but the box had been mounted with ~1 inch smooth shank roofing nails and they pulled out of the framing member it was attached to.

rcwilson

Fan dropping.

Fan dropping.

Our high ceiling family room has a large, reversible, variable speed, fan hanging on a 4' rod about 12' above the floor.

After 10 years, the rod set screw loosened, allowing the fan to unscrew slightly every time it was reversed. During a party, I heard a funny noise and looked up to see the fan spinning and swinging on two wires directly over the glass table. I yelled and people jumped out of the way. My neighbor, who is a famous stunt pilot and fighter jet ace, grabbed one side of the table and I grabbed the other. We barely got the table out of the way before the wires snapped and the fan auto-gyroed to the floor like a helicopter. Nothing was broken except a brass center plate & the control at the switch box was fried.

I noticed the pilot was white and shaking so I asked if he was OK. His answer was "Seeing a prop fall off anything scares me!"

I contacted the manufacturer to get replacement parts. They immediately sent an electrician to replace the parts and rehang the fan free of charge.

No problems with the ceiling box. I do check the set screw occasionally when I have a ladder out.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I contacted the manufacturer to get replacement parts. They immediately sent an electrician to replace the parts and rehang the fan free of charge.
Either they are very nice to their customers or they were already aware of a design problem with the setscrew fitting and were hoping you would not sue them. :)

James L

Occupation
Electrician
When I was just stating in the trade, the company I worked for used side-bracket metal 8Bs for fans, and we mounted them with 4 Romex staples. :blink:

I saw a fan fall, still attached to the box, because the welds on the bracket broke off from the box. :eek:hmy:
The bracket was still secure with the staples, though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.