Infrared thermometers: any value with panel covers on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twm22

Can anyone comment on the value of using an infrared thermometer to detect hazardous breaker temps when the panel covers are on? In other words, can panels be surveyed without exposing oneself to the conductors and get any kind of valuable reading? I think not but others (none of us electricians) believe that there is value as a matter of routine inspection. Thanks.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you can feel that the panel cover is warm because one of the breakers is hot, the check might be useful. But it is not a sensitive test.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mivey

Some value perhaps. Connection issues can show up on the face of some breakers. So, you might find a very hot breaker but still miss some that need attention. I guess you could assume you will find the worst of the worst but you have to verify loading.

Still, you need to see the cable coming in and have an ampacity reading to go along with it or you are missing important information.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Can anyone comment on the value of using an infrared thermometer to detect hazardous breaker temps when the panel covers are on? In other words, can panels be surveyed without exposing oneself to the conductors and get any kind of valuable reading? I think not but others (none of us electricians) believe that there is value as a matter of routine inspection. Thanks.

This is an article from Fluke.
http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/uses/comunidad/Fluke-News-Plus/ArticleCategories/TI/IRAdvantage.htm

I know the author of this article, he makes his living troubleshooting equipment not selling stuff. He makes the statement "Abnormal heating discovered with the covers in place could indicate a very dangerous condition."

Besoeker

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This is an article from Fluke.
http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/uses/comunidad/Fluke-News-Plus/ArticleCategories/TI/IRAdvantage.htm

I know the author of this article, he makes his living troubleshooting equipment not selling stuff. He makes the statement "Abnormal heating discovered with the covers in place could indicate a very dangerous condition."
The salient point for the OP's question seems to be:
Abnormal heating discovered with the covers in place could indicate a very dangerous condition.
In his view, a thermal scan with the covers on is a valuable prerequisite to removing the covers with the power still on.
He does not recommend relying on imaging with the cover still on as an indication that the equipment is OK.

zog

Infrared thermometer with cover on? No value at all, you are going to read more from reflection than you will from behind the door.

Thermal imager with covers on? Very little value, as Mivey said you are missing key pieces of information but I suppose if there is an issue that has advaced to a serious problem you may pick it up.

If you want to perform routine inspections without removing the covers, install IR windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.