pvc pipe ran within a concrete beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler1

I haven't seen anything in the code that prohibits running pvc pipe in the foundation of a new residence within an area that will eventually be filled with concrete and would be considered a "beam" in the slab. Have I missed the article? local jurisdiction?

cadpoint

The Architect or Engineer might we be well interested in your adventure.

I can almost state as fact they will not let you run down (in) a wall or through a column.

Most don't like anything much less foreign applications in their design. They might let you run through perpendicularly if they designed it or approve it, with a piece of tube steel. I've inserted pipe through walls, or pipe vertically with-in walls all per their design.

Let them pour the footer and the column and attach outside of both.

Or run under the footer, or down the length outside the footer, but not in it.

You better check with either or both...before you insert a steel sleeve.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I can't tell from your description whether you are really describing a beam which will have to carry load horizontally over a gap or weak point in the supporting structure for a raised slab or just a long deeper footing section under an on grade slab.
The first situation is the more serious one since the strength of the beam may be affected, while in the second case there will be primarily downward compression and no need to carry point loads from one place to another.
Only the architect or engineer can really evaluate what the "beam" is being called on to do.
At least with PVC there will be no potential problem with steel rusting and cracking the concrete.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mgookin

I haven't seen anything in the code that prohibits running pvc pipe in the foundation of a new residence within an area that will eventually be filled with concrete and would be considered a "beam" in the slab. Have I missed the article? local jurisdiction?

If the structural details show a beam and no pipe, you can't put your pipe in there. Go back to the guy who designed the beam or find another place for your pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.