lightning Suppression Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

horrorsix

I got a call today from my biggest commercial client. Their insurance company is telling them they would really like to see their building have a lightening suppression system. They called me asking what I knew about it.

I know nothing. Can anybody point me in the right direction on this subject.

Is there a special certification for installing these systems?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I got a call today from my biggest commercial client. Their insurance company is telling them they would really like to see their building have a lightening suppression system. They called me asking what I knew about it.

Typically you need a P.E. to design/specify the system. Depending on the jurisdiction the contractor/installer may not need any special training or licensing.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

ron

You might want to ask them what a lightning suppression system is. They might mean just a surge protection device on the service entrance distribution, or it could be ... as proposed by other posters as a lighting protections system as detailed in NFPA 780.

Sahib

They might mean just a surge protection device on the service entrance distribution, or it could be ... as proposed by other posters as a lighting protections system as detailed in NFPA 780.
The insurance company might require both.

mgookin

What is the facility?
Is there an ongoing problem they are trying to cure?

Status
Not open for further replies.