Yellow wire in sub panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running 120 VAC power to a sub panel from the main control panel. Both panels (Main and Sub) are mounted side by side on the same machine. The main disconnect on the Main panel switches power off to both panels. In this situation, do I still need to run yellow wire for the 120 VAC for the sub panel?? From my understanding, yellow would only be used if power to the sub panel remained on when the switch on the main control panel is shut off (which is not the case here). The sub panel does not have a disconnect switch and is shut off from the main panel.

Thanks,
Don

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I do not understand your question. You are calling these main panels and sub panels and then you say they are mounted on a machine?????? I think there is something missing especially if a yellow wire is involved

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I do not understand your question. You are calling these main panels and sub panels and then you say they are mounted on a machine?????? I think there is something missing especially if a yellow wire is involved
OP's profile says he is a controls Engineer. This may be control question.

I thought my explanation was pretty clear. But I will include a picture with this post. There is a "Main" panel and a "Sub" panel, mounted on a machine (just like I said in my original post). I'm running 120VAC power from the main to the sub. The sub does not have a disconnect and is switched off via the disconnect on the main. My question is: Do I need to run a yellow wire for the 120 VAC hot to the sub panel?? I don't think I do and I can just use red wire but I'm trying to verify via more expertise on this forum regarding the NEC rules for this. This is obviously NOT a residential electrical question and is in regards to industrial controls wiring. The large panel is the Main and the smaller panel is the sub.

Control panels_1.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I figured you had something like that but when you say main panel I am thinking the main service panel. The main panel that you speak of is a disconnect. That is why there was confusion.

Without knowing what is there this is a hard question to answer. Maybe some of the commercial guys can help.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I am running 120 VAC power to a sub panel from the main control panel. Both panels (Main and Sub) are mounted side by side on the same machine. The main disconnect on the Main panel switches power off to both panels. In this situation, do I still need to run yellow wire for the 120 VAC for the sub panel?? From my understanding, yellow would only be used if power to the sub panel remained on when the switch on the main control panel is shut off (which is not the case here). The sub panel does not have a disconnect switch and is shut off from the main panel.

Thanks,
Don

Deleted ---- Picture was not up when I posted.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Sub panel is part of the machine

Sub panel is part of the machine

If you shut off the main and the other panel is dead, then no you do not need yellow wire. Yellow wire is for when you are bringing voltage from a different machine ( interfacing a stop circuit or something) and it is not killed by the main machine disconnect.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yellow is normally used to indicate wiring that may not be deenergized when the machine disconnect is open. The disconnect is not required to be in the same cabinet as the wiring that it disconnects.

So if the disconnect in the main cabinet removes power to the other box when it is open, those wire should not be yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.