Looking for inexpensive irreversible splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoc64

Can anyone recommend a low cost solution for irreversibly splicing bare copper conductors. specifically looking to splice 2 #6 stranded gec's together. All I have found so far is a Burndy product, C-taps that require a $3,000 tool to crimp.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Can anyone recommend a low cost solution for irreversibly splicing bare copper conductors. specifically looking to splice 2 #6 stranded gec's together. All I have found so far is a Burndy product, C-taps that require a $3,000 tool to crimp.

Your supply house may have a crimp tool that you can borrow or rent. I know mine does.
If they don't I would be looking for one that does.
Even auto zone has such a program for automotive tools.
Or another EC may have one he or she may rent you.
you could Cadweld but would have to acquire the mold and shot needed.
Lots of avenues you could go.

Fliz

I used to work for a shop that thought that "irreversable crimp splice" was some exotic thing that was very special and expensive. The fact is, any crimp splice or butt splice is an "irreversable crimp splice". The only cost concern here is GECs often use larger wires, which means you need a larger crimper than say a $40 low voltage crimper. The good GEC crimpers are in the $200+ range, but it's a worthwhile investment if you will do it more than once. You don't need a $3000 power tool to splice GECs for 100-200a services.

RUWired

Have you looked at the Burndy "H' taps. The MD-6 tool is $300 and easy to use.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Use a Phillips head. I have never been able to reverse on of those!
It is amazing what a cordless impact screwdriver can do, even with a Phillips head (unless you deliberately strip the head when tightening.)
If am totally spoiled relative to using a standard screw gun anymore.
Although it does make it easier to drive the head right off the screw if you are careless. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.