Class I, Division 1, Group B locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
I don't normally do a lot of explosionproof work but here I have to replace this chem storage fridge.

It's a brand-new installation and a brand-new architect engineered building

The new unit is full explosionproof fittings. The is a replacement, the old unit had explosionproof fittings

I'm installing it and I notice that the lights in the storage room are not explosionproof lights

The fluorescent tube sparks so this seems to me to defeat the entire purpose of explosionproof fittings on the fridge

Also the fridge was connected to a common bell box with the explosionproof fittings. Would've thought it goes to some kind Appleton or Killark cast box.

Is this is safe and code compliant insulation w the extension ring and the lighting ?
rahudydu.jpg
narugeru.jpg
tegezasy.jpg
3e7a5e4u.jpg

On the net:
Class I, Division 1, Group B locations

All electrical wiring and conduit must conform to the National Electric Code Article 501

Only explosion-proof lighting fixtures are to be installed in a gas meter room and these must meet the requirements of the NFPA-70: National Electric Code for Class I, Division 1, Group D locations

Mechanical fans and detection equipment must be continuously monitored in case of failure. Alarms for trouble and failure must be installed in accordance with NFPA-72, National Fire Alarm Code.

In belief, man can do anything

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
It's not that fluorescent tubes spark but it's possible the fluorescent tubes can spark

also the light switches outside of the room.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
I wish I could edit this from this iPhone but I'm looking further and the factory supplied junction box is rated
Group B and the factory supplied label says
Class
e8ygu3up.jpg
one, group C and D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There are no requirements that explosion proof equipment cannot be used in unclassified areas. If the area is unclassified there are no requirements to install equipment designed for classified areas in the way they would be installed in a classified area.

You have to start with whether the area is classified or not. Is the area classified? If so what is its classification?

In any case, the yellow label is wrong about the use of cords.

Last edited:

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
y3upynaq.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/
14/01/14/5emetegy.jpg

I'll have to look that up =)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I will not be available for about 3 hours.

How is the room classified?

The luminaires may be suitable if the room is Division 2.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
yqajymar.jpg

Seems to me the lights should be different in this room

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In looking at the few pictures you posted, and having no other information to go on, its seems possible that maybe the only area that is D1 is the area immediately around and inside the refrigerator, if that.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
That must be why it's like that!
Just overkill on the fridge.
See the msds shows fire risk at 2

Thanks tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.