Art. 517.14 Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

acebradley

What do you think?

Under the requirements of NEC 2011 art. 517.14, would you be able to assume that the panelboards of different systems serving the same individual patient care vicinity in an electric room could be considered already bonded because the equipment grounding conductor in each panel attaches to the grounding terminal in the transformers supplying the panels, and a bonding path is installed from the grounding terminals in each transformer to the same water piping served in the area, or to a ground bus installed in the electric room.

My take on it would be NO. It seems to me that the wording in 517.14 would require a separate bonding conductor that is unbroken, at least between each panelboard ground bus that serves the same patient care vicinity (assuming there are normal and essential branch circuit panelboards, or panelboards served from separate transfer switches on the emergency system).

Seems clear to me. What do you think?

acebradley

Here is some more pertinent info:
Remodeled ER, some panels are newly added for the remodel, some are existing but have new circuits pulled into them, and some are just existing with nothing added.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I agree - its clear. An unbroken ground conductor is required between the two panels if they serve the same patient care area.

Using the argument that the panels are already bonded through feeders, or transformers, or water pipes, etc. would apply to any two panels in a building. If that were good enough, there wouldn't be any reason for 517.14.

Status
Not open for further replies.