Question about cord in wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

I had someone ask me about this earlier today and I didn't have a clear cut answer for them.
They wanted to know if the factory cord that comes with a tv can be fished in the wall. I was pretty sure cords are never allowed to be concealed in walls but thought maybe it could be rated for in wall use. Anyone have a quick answer on this one?
thanks

crtemp

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located
above suspended or dropped ceilings

That's what I saw too. After google-ing a bunch of stuff, some people are saying it's okay if it is CL-2 rated. I don't see any exceptions in the code about CL-2 rated cords though.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
According to Mike Holt, cords on appliances are not part of the UL listing that the NEC is calling cords. Therefore, he says those cords are not the cords that the NEC says can't be run in the walls. :blink:
He was specifically talking about TVs (his example) that were ceiling mounted and the cords ran through the ceiling to a receptacle above.

There is a video that shows this discussion but I don't know what/where it is.

crtemp

According to Mike Holt, cords on appliances are not part of the UL listing that the NEC is calling cords. Therefore, he says those cords are not the cords that the NEC says can't be run in the walls. :blink:
He was specifically talking about TVs (his example) that were ceiling mounted and the cords ran through the ceiling to a receptacle above.

There is a video that shows this discussion but I don't know what/where it is.

I think I saw that video too. Something about ceiling mounted projectors if I remember correctly. I think I spaced out like 10 times watching it though. I think the video was almost 20 minutes! lol

I'll have to find and watch it again and try to pay more attention to it this time!

I had someone ask me about this earlier today and I didn't have a clear cut answer for them.
They wanted to know if the factory cord that comes with a tv can be fished in the wall. I was pretty sure cords are never allowed to be concealed in walls but thought maybe it could be rated for in wall use. Anyone have a quick answer on this one?
thanks

Count me in with the "I can do whatever the hell I want with that widget I bought at wal mart including putting some gypsum over it or plugging it into my small appliance circuit" crowd ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.