NEC chapter 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

Isn't there something in here that specifically states that one connot run communication circuits in the same drilled studs as line voltage circuits :?

david

no not that I know of; Why would you not be allowed to run these cables in the same drilled holes. Some applications would spec the low voltage to be shielded cable

Hendrix

I'm thinking that the sheething has to rated the same voltage if they pass through the same holes. Which for NM is 600 and cat 5, I think is 150.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Certainly OK in same studs. Less clear if same holes.
Would they be considered bundled in that case?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
He may be thinking of this:

800.133(A)(2) (2) Other Applications. Communications wires and cables shall be separated at least 50 mm (2 in.) from conductors of any electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm, or medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits.
Exception No. 1: Where either (1) all of the conductors of the electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm, and medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits are in a raceway or in metal sheathed, metal-clad, nonmetallic-sheathed, Type AC, or Type UF cables, or (2) all of the conductors of communications circuits are encased in raceway.
Exception No. 2: Where the communications wires and cables are permanently separated from the conductors of electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm, and medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits by a continuous and firmly fixed nonconductor, such as porcelain tubes or flexible tubing, in addition to the insulation on the wire.

Don't know how you could do legal wiring through the studs where exception 1 would not apply. I've had many people say you have to keep CM cables 2" away from NM or MC cables, but you don't because of exception 1.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Isn't there something in here that specifically states that one connot run communication circuits in the same drilled studs as line voltage circuits :?

Those two different cables are permitted in the same hole. Might not be the best design but not prohibited by the NEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Article 725 and not 800 applies to CAT5 wiring for data, but the rules are the same. They are permitted in the same drilled hole, but as was already said, that might not be the best design.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
725.136(A) ??
725.136(I) would apply to the application in question.
(I) Other Applications. For other applications, conductors of Class 2 and Clas s 3 circuits shall be separated by at least 50 mm (2 in.) from conductors of any electric light, power, Class 1 non?power-limited fire alarm or medium power network-powered
broadband communications circuits unless one of the following conditions is met:
(1) Either (a) all of the electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm and medium -power networkpowered
broadband communications circuit conductors or (b) all of the Class 2 and Class 3 circuit conductors are in a raceway or in metal-sheathed, metal-clad, non?metallic-sheathed, or Type UF cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.