Steps to become an apprentice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

of mike and men

Hi,

I am 25 years old, first of all, I was wondering if this it too old to begin learning a trade. I have absolutely no experience being an electrician, and no one in my family has been one. I know one person who was an electrician in Germany, and another who is a lineman in California, but my communication with them is limited, and being in Texas, they're not good references.

I have worked in retail since being 16 years old. I have attempted college, and am uncertain it is for me. I am intelligent, and have a 4.0 GPA (with some Withdrawls), but I don't have a specific major that I am interested in, and I can't really justify spending the money on a education without a direction. Not to mention, I don't really trust our educational system, but that's another topic.

I currently live in Texas, near Austin. There is a IBEW center around here, but given my prior work experience, and lack of any understanding in being a electrician beyond reading online and YouTube videos, I don't feel safe interviewing for an apprenticeship. I am a very hard worker and have remained with a company for about 7 years. I would have no issues getting letters of recommendation, but I don't want to go without any prior knowledge.

When I was 14 I did some work at a school. It was mostly janitorial work. I ended up doing a lot of painting rooms and the parking lot. Beyond this my "handyman" experience is very limited. I have built computers and I've thoroughly enjoyed that.

I have contacted the IBEW here to collect basic information. I do qualify for the interview, but I want something that will actually land me an apprenticeship. I have started e-mailing several electrical companies and independent electricians to see if I can follow them on the job and maybe help them out. I've informed them I would do this for free, as I am just trying to get some experience, and hopefully a letter of recommendation from an electrician.

I am going to be picking up a few books to read, just to get some know how, but beyond this I am thoroughly lost. I want to work with my hands, and I think the technical challenges that an electrician may deal with would interest my curiosity. I don't know if I should take some courses or what. I just need help. What can I do to set myself apart from all these other applicants? Any help, or guides, or books, or know-how, or whatever, would be great. I just need some guidance in a field I currently know nothing about, but am currently willing to put whatever into learning it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A reliable source told me that the Chicago IBEW is starting to run out of apprentices, and so has started accepting more into their school.

he told me the employers have asked for more apprentices because they are relatively cheap labor.

HEYDOG

You can try the IBEW and also the Independent Electrical Contractors. There are several chapters in Texas. I would try both of them and see which one will accept you. If they both do then you can choose which way is best for you. Not having the experience is okay. I have heard it repeated over and over that contractors can't find enough good employees. It sounds like you are a hard worker and willing to learn. That is a big plus! Good luck!

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Hi,

I am 25 years old, first of all, I was wondering if this it too old to begin learning a trade. I have absolutely no experience being an electrician, and no one in my family has been one. I know one person who was an electrician in Germany, and another who is a lineman in California, but my communication with them is limited, and being in Texas, they're not good references.

I have worked in retail since being 16 years old. I have attempted college, and am uncertain it is for me. I am intelligent, and have a 4.0 GPA (with some Withdrawls), but I don't have a specific major that I am interested in, and I can't really justify spending the money on a education without a direction. Not to mention, I don't really trust our educational system, but that's another topic.

I currently live in Texas, near Austin. There is a IBEW center around here, but given my prior work experience, and lack of any understanding in being a electrician beyond reading online and YouTube videos, I don't feel safe interviewing for an apprenticeship. I am a very hard worker and have remained with a company for about 7 years. I would have no issues getting letters of recommendation, but I don't want to go without any prior knowledge.

When I was 14 I did some work at a school. It was mostly janitorial work. I ended up doing a lot of painting rooms and the parking lot. Beyond this my "handyman" experience is very limited. I have built computers and I've thoroughly enjoyed that.

I have contacted the IBEW here to collect basic information. I do qualify for the interview, but I want something that will actually land me an apprenticeship. I have started e-mailing several electrical companies and independent electricians to see if I can follow them on the job and maybe help them out. I've informed them I would do this for free, as I am just trying to get some experience, and hopefully a letter of recommendation from an electrician.

I am going to be picking up a few books to read, just to get some know how, but beyond this I am thoroughly lost. I want to work with my hands, and I think the technical challenges that an electrician may deal with would interest my curiosity. I don't know if I should take some courses or what. I just need help. What can I do to set myself apart from all these other applicants? Any help, or guides, or books, or know-how, or whatever, would be great. I just need some guidance in a field I currently know nothing about, but am currently willing to put whatever into learning it.

You would be a perfect apprentice! Do you speak German?

I do not know you but would give you a recommendation just on 'my gut'.

Anyone else think in 5 years this guy may be teaching us?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Hi,

I am 25 years old, first of all, I was wondering if this it too old to begin learning a trade.

I wondered the same when I was in my mid-twenties, believe me that 25 is not too old for anything. In 5 years you will be an experienced 30-year-old, very possibly with 35 or more working years remaining.

informed them I would do this for free, as I am just trying to get some experience, and hopefully a letter of recommendation from an electrician.

I personally know 2 very sucessful businessmen that started this way, when there were no jobs available they each went to work anyway.

Best wishes.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
From what you have said, I think you are ready for the interview now. You have something special to offer: integrity, motivation, and a history of loyal service and productive work. Those will take you far in any career.

And with regard to your age, ask yourself the following question: How old will you be in ten years if you don't do this?

Welcome to the forum. If you stick around, you will find that this is a great resource for learning the trade.

growler

I do qualify for the interview, but I want something that will actually land me an apprenticeship.

I would think that a good attitude is one of the most important qualifications at this point (you seem to have that).

Go for the interview an see how things turn out.

I think you are qualified for the interview. Being able to read well and having math skills are probably the most important things in learning the electrical trade.

Good luck with the interview.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I would recommend not trying to call and talk to people on the phone or fill out forms on-line. Go down to the local office and start talking to anybody you can about what it takes to get in the apprenticeship program. Look presentable.

Most important, do your research and KNOW what an electrician does. You don't have to know how to do any of it, they will train you, but just have an understanding of what it entails, which is a lot.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I don't know the rules in Texas, but up here you don't necessarily have to enter an apprenticeship. You just get a job with an electrical outfit. You may just be a "helper" which means you'll mostly just be carrying stock from the truck and cleaning up. Or they may hire you as an apprentice. Even as a helper you start to learn and then one day they need to get a place finished and they teach you how to install a receptacle and set you loose with a couple boxes of receptacles, some hand tools and maybe a screw-gun. Then you're well on your way.

I personally did some work with my father for a few months when I was about 21, then got caught up in managing restaurants for awhile. I was exactly 25 when I moved to Massachusetts and got a job with an electrician. It was just he and I doing jobs. I learned a lot faster than most, not just because I'm a quick learner, but because there were many times he needed the job to keep moving while he fielded phone calls. After a couple years I enrolled in the required schooling which mostly was to teach you how to find things in the code book and how to interpret what you find. When I had enough school and work hours I took the test and got my own license.

You sound motivated and besides looking for somebody to train you, just check the local laws in your area to find out what is required to obtain a license and that will take you in the right direction.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hi,
I currently live in Texas, near Austin. There is a IBEW center around here, but given my prior work experience,
and lack of any understanding in being a electrician beyond reading online and YouTube videos, I don't feel safe
interviewing for an apprenticeship. I am a very hard worker and have remained with a company for about 7
years. I would have no issues getting letters of recommendation, but I don't want to go without any prior knowledge.

ok. first and foremost, this is simply my opinion, based on my experience.

i was 21 when i started. i went the IBEW route. it was a 4 year apprenticeship then.
i'm 58 now, and still doing it.

would i do it again? knowing what i know today, most likely not, but at the time,
it was probably the best choice i could have made. i'm fairly good at it, and have
35 years experience, but you can succeed at almost anything, with the correct
attitude, and you seem to possess that.

don't worry about the interview. they will do a screening before they interview you.
color blindness will rule you out. back when, they did a manual dexterity test as well.
it was 1977, nobody had you pee in a bottle. they will now.

my interview lasted about 4 minutes. they asked me why i wanted to do this, and i said
that this was what i have decided to do with my life, and i'd like to do it with them.
they asked me if i drank, and i asked if beer counted. they said no, beer doesn't count.

i'm now 30 years sober, so i can assure you that yes, beer does count. :dunce:

so, at 35 years in, i'm self employed, do a one man band, and am more busy than i
can handle.

you are considering something however, that is seasonal, sporadic, and may not
turn out like you planned. and while you are an apprentice, your local training trust
will do their best to keep you employed, and you are most profitable as a 2nd thru
4th year apprentice. you can do most of what a journeyman can do, and you are value
priced. consider that carefully, as after you are a journeyman, you are just another
apple in the barrel.

with 35 years in, and a vested pension, i'm self employed as there is no work to speak
of in my local jurisdiction, and there isn't likely to be any in the foreseeable future.
and, were i to accept a dispatch to work, i'd probably go to work for someone 38 years
old, who'd take one look at me at 58, and wonder how fast he could spin me around.

here is the dispatch for tomorrow:

Calls for Dispatch: Friday, 1/17/14

249 JWs on Book I

there are two sound installer calls, both foreman callouts. "That's all the work for today, brothers...."

at the bottom of the page, there is a link to apply for extended unemployment benefits.

it takes about 2 years for them to run thru 250 out of work electricians.

welcome to your source of income... i was talking with someone who is
a general foreman for a shop i used to work for... good shop, carries about two dozen
sparkies continuously, swelling when they have more work.

24 of them are sitting at home, and one is finishing up a job. there is no work pending,
and they haven't won a bid in 8 months. and there isn't any point in signing the out of
work list.

take a long, hard, clear look before committing to this course of action.... just sayin'.....
at 58, running 5" pvc in a ditch solo isn't what i thought my career path would look like...
i'm just grateful for the opportunity to do the work.

as for money, and compensation, it varies widely. my best month was $46,000 net taxable.
my worst YEAR was $188. that isn't a typo.

good luck with whatever you choose to do.

time for bed. i have 5" to run tomorrow, in a six foot deep ditch. welcome to AARP.
don't forget your Geritol.

Status
Not open for further replies.