Can Long Conduit Run Fail Inspection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

I'm presented with bringing an underground circuit or two from a house to entrance gates of the property.
I will be using conduit sized large enough to not be a problem with the pull.
The length may be 150' to 200' long (maybe longer).
Short of putting a box somewhere in the run in the middle of the owners lawn, is it permissible to have this length in a run with no box's, handholes or condulets (pass inspection).
Looked in Big Book, but can not locate, will continue.
Thank you.

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I'm presented with bringing an underground circuit or two from a house to entrance gates of the property.
Short of putting a box somewhere in the run in the middle of the owners lawn, is it permissible to have this length in a run with no box's, handholes or condulets (pass inspection).
Thank you.
As long as it does not have more than 360 degrees of bends in it between pull points it is good.

John120/240

There is no requirement for pull boxes or hand holes. Remember You cannot exceed 360 degrees of bends in your conduit run. The only limit on length is the length of your fish tape, jet line, or pull rope has to be longer than the conduit run.

ritelec

Was thinking...................

"expansion fittings"

I know there's mention for them, but personally, I've seen them installed in a runs underground, and / or in runs coming out of the ground to a structure...

I've seen them weather the storm....... and have also seen them crap out.

I've also seen and installed many runs with no expansion fittings and have had no problems to date.

Think the inspector would have any concerns with an underground pvc run (at that length) stubbed up to a building on one end and a brick column at the other with no expansion fittings?

Thanks again.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Think the inspector would have any concerns with an underground pvc run (at that length) stubbed up to a building on one end and a brick column at the other with no expansion fittings?

Thanks again.
Depending on how deeply it was buried, the temperature swing, and therefore the change in the length of the PVC, might not be all that great. Certainly a lot less than on a wall or roof.

Could you include a couple of broad sweeps to provide for some expansion without using expansion fittings?
Your rigidly fixed ends might give the inspector qualms, but a lot of expansion could be taken up in the vertical sweeps up to the stubs. Especially if you put the lower part of the sweeps in sand instead of packed dirt.

What about just using direct burial cable instead?

masterinbama

Thanks again.

Actually a short run would between a building and a brick column would be more prone to damage by expansion.

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you.

Come out here and do some irrigation installs and you will find your 200 foot run to be rather short in length:happyyes:

ritelec

Come out here and do some irrigation installs and you will find your 200 foot run to be rather short in length:happyyes:

I might take you up on that........................

Been researching for a possible move............

Any work???

Status
Not open for further replies.