NEC 2011 70512.(D)(3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec_eng

So in a commercial building where the main CB has a GFP, the only way to connect PV is the supply side? Is that correct?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So in a commercial building where the main CB has a GFP, the only way to connect PV is the supply side? Is that correct?
That is not just a regulatory provision, it is a practical provision.
If the PV does not also incorporate its own GFP (or even if it does) and it faults, then you could have unbalanced currents in the main breaker causing a main trip without any faults anywhere in the rest of the system.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Where the GFP is integral with the CB, yes. If it is a separate GFP relay, you can connect load-side between MCB and GFP... but physical means to do so will likely be restrictive.

elec_eng

If the PV does not also incorporate its own GFP (or even if it does) and it faults, then you could have unbalanced currents in the main breaker..

GoldDigger,

I assume you are talking about a fault at the PV? Can you explanin how it will create unbalanced currents in the man circuit breaker? I guess I couldn't quite get how the current will flow if there is a fault.

...causing a main trip without any faults anywhere in the rest of the system.

What if there is a second level (or even thrid) GFP down stream of the main? We could put a sub-panel with GFP for the PV system interconnction.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If there is a ground fault in the inverter which does not cause it to be disconnected, the "missing" neutral current cannot come from anywhere except the ground-neutral bond at the service, which will trip the GFP at the main.
If there is GFP closer to the GTI then it may or may not trip first. Coordination of GFP can be difficult.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.