How to reverse 220v motor for hanger door

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparktrition

I replaced a 220v hanger door motor with a Dayton5k673bb. The old motor had a two and three wire SO cord feeding it from a 2 contactor, 2 limit switch, 24v coil system. I don't understand how to reverse this motor using the five wires coming from my up and down contactors.
Part of the problem is the contactor schematic is not in a ladder diagram form. I have left the contactors operating in the same exact way as they are in the diagram. I have been able to get the motor to operate in both directions, but i had to swap the red and black wires manually on the motor. How can i achieve this process using the five wires with the 2 contactors.
Any help with this is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 2
  • Hanger Door.jpg
    Hanger Door.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2

Ohms law

I replaced a 220v hanger door motor with a Dayton5k673bb. The old motor had a two and three wire SO cord feeding it from a 2 contactor, 2 limit switch, 24v coil system. I don't understand how to reverse this motor using the five wires coming from my up and down contactors.
Part of the problem is the contactor schematic is not in a ladder diagram form. I have left the contactors operating in the same exact way as they are in the diagram. I have been able to get the motor to operate in both directions, but i had to swap the red and black wires manually on the motor. How can i achieve this process using the five wires with the 2 contactors.
Any help with this is much appreciated.

Are you familiar with motor controls? I can't see the second image, its not very clear.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I having a hard time reading your diagram, but no matter. Since the motor is 220V one of your starting leads, either 5 or 8 is going to be joined with 2 and 3 and you only need to switch the other starting lead from L1 to L2 with the contactors.

sparktrition

Can i simplify the reversing process?

Can i simplify the reversing process?

Thank you for your replies...
Finally found the motor schematics.
If i rewire the contactors to send 220v separately(once when in the up operation and once in the down operation) wouldn't that simplify it. Could i use just four wires landed on the motor? The fifth wire i could use for an equipment ground.

Attachments

• 1CF1562F915AF.jpg
    1CF1562F915AF.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

Ohms law

If i rewire the contactors to send 220v separately(once when in the up operation and once in the down operation) wouldn't that simplify it. Could i use just four wires landed on the motor? The fifth wire i could use for an equipment ground.

When you say simplify, what do you mean? It sounds like it is ready to go you just have to land the wires.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)

Spark - Where are you? "220V" makes me think somewhere with 50HZ. Either way it is okay, my response is the same.

Assuming I understand:
I think you will need 6 wires from the control box th the motor. You are going to bring the red and black from the motor down to the contactors and return two conductors to A and 5.

The 6 leads are:
L1, L2 to 1 and 2, switched through both contactors
Red, black from the motor
A, 5 back to the motor.

Wire the red, black, through the two contactors to A, 5 such that one direction connects
red to A, black to 5

and the other direction connects
Red to 5, black to A

Just a guess - the red, black is the start winding.
Based on motor nameplate data

ice

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Assuming I understand:
I think you will need 6 wires from the control box th the motor. You are going to bring the red and black from the motor down to the contactors and return two conductors to A and 5.

Actually, that's backwards from a supply to load perspective. A and 5 are just jumper connected to L1 and L2, so you don't need to bring them back to the control box.

He only need four wires: L1, L2, red, and black.

One relay (DPST or DPDT wired as DPST) to energize L1 and L2 (main windings).

One relay (DPDT) to flop red and black's source (L1 or L2; reverse polarity of start winding).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The motor nameplate indicates no protection, and neither does the control diagram. So it appears you will have to add an overload module (aka overload relay).

kwired

Electron manager
Four conductors between motor and controller are all that is necessary (in general). Two for main winding, two for aux winding, you can reverse polarity of either pair and it will reverse the motor rotation. Fifth conductor may be necessary with internal overload in the motor in some instances, and only three conductors may sometimes work out - but is usually for PSC type motors only.

sparktrition

Ohms, Ice, Smart

Ohms, Ice, Smart

The motor nameplate indicates no protection, and neither does the control diagram. So it appears you will have to add an overload module (aka overload relay).

Thanks much for your help. Everyone's help in this forum has made me a better electrician.

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.