3 phase service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Guns

I have a 1600amp main breaker CT cabinet with a panel board bussed to it, my customer is looking to split his service to two separate metered services. We are looking to make second service a 400amp metered service. existing is 120/208 3 phase. service primary is being fed from transformer located exterior of building primary conduits are coming underground from transformer to 1600amp main breaker. Question is can you tap off of primary conductors before 1600amp main in bottom of CT cabinet exit CT cabinet and feed second 400amp metered service..

I have a 1600amp main breaker CT cabinet with a panel board bussed to it, my customer is looking to split his service to two separate metered services. We are looking to make second service a 400amp metered service. existing is 120/208 3 phase. service primary is being fed from transformer located exterior of building primary conduits are coming underground from transformer to 1600amp main breaker. Question is can you tap off of primary conductors before 1600amp main in bottom of CT cabinet exit CT cabinet and feed second 400amp metered service..

Basically yes, check out 230.40 and 230.71 for multiple sets of service entrance conductors and number and grouping of disconnects. I am not sure what a "main breaker CT cabinet" is. Is that your service disconnect or a utility disconnect? You may want to clarify where the utility conductors end if that is not certain. Also you seem to be throwing around the term "primary" incorrectly. The utility conductors feeding the transformer would be primary, perhaps 4160 or higher. The 120/208 conductors would be secondary. Recommend using "line side" and "load side of service disconnect/ct cabinet/etc to refer to different parts of the secondary run.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The problem you will most likely incur is that the 1600 amp will be fed by parallel conductors and you can't just tap off one or two of them.
You would, of course, also need to make sure the existing conductors have the necessary amapcity if this involves any increased load.
Some local POCOs use a "trans-socket" where the line and load conductors actually terminate and that would give you a tap point. If the conductors simply pass thru you might consider a Polaris type connector on each set but it might be simpler to run to the transformer.

My experience is that in most cases when folks see the incurred costs they decide on some option other than adding a meter :)

Big Guns

Basically yes, check out 230.40 and 230.71 for multiple sets of service entrance conductors and number and grouping of disconnects. I am not sure what a "main breaker CT cabinet" is. Is that your service disconnect or a utility disconnect? You may want to clarify where the utility conductors end if that is not certain. Also you seem to be throwing around the term "primary" incorrectly. The utility conductors feeding the transformer would be primary, perhaps 4160 or higher. The 120/208 conductors would be secondary. Recommend using "line side" and "load side of service disconnect/ct cabinet/etc to refer to different parts of the secondary run.

T clarify my question Main breaker CT cabinet is a CT cabinet with the 1600amp main breaker in cabinet bottom half is a 1600amp breaker and top half is the CT the panel board is bussed to the side. Yes you are correct the primary are the conductors feed transformer and the secondary's are feeding CT cabinet, I worded it that way because some electricians say that load side of transformer is the primary side of CT equipment and the load is after CT.

Thank You

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If your service conductors terminate on a buss, I see no problem with your tapping off that buss to your 400 amp meter and added service disconnect provided your conductors are adequate for the load and you comply with Art 230 Part VI

Smart $

Esteemed Member
T clarify my question Main breaker CT cabinet is a CT cabinet with the 1600amp main breaker in cabinet bottom half is a 1600amp breaker and top half is the CT the panel board is bussed to the side. Yes you are correct the primary are the conductors feed transformer and the secondary's are feeding CT cabinet, I worded it that way because some electricians say that load side of transformer is the primary side of CT equipment and the load is after CT.

Thank You
If you want a separate metered service, you have to tap before the CT's. The CT's establish one metered service (POCO, not NEC)

Status
Not open for further replies.