Elevator Car Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
In NC, No but it does have a fused disconnect in Elevator room.

And frankly why would that be monitored?

Thats what I asked the FD when they showed up while I was troubleshooting the lights, I traced the circuit from the elevator controller to a fused double pole disconnect(not identified), the line side was being fed by one circuit, the load side of one pole is for the lights, the other I am not sure. I shut the disconnect down to open the door and check voltage, turned it back on. After a few minutes I went to the lobby/entrance to the building(this is where the FACP is located)the FD was there along with the building manger. I was told by the FD that when I turned of the disconnect it tripped the shunt, he also told me that was the way it is suppose to be set up. I am still working on this and have not had a chance to review NFPA72.

zodiack

Elevator car lights

Elevator car lights

The car lights need to be a dedicated circuit with a lockable disconnect switch.
My question is . Does it have to be fused ??

cadpoint

Seems odd to me, but alais I just bring in the service to what the elevator pep's need I never gave it a thought that this could happen, cab lights have there own disconnect and elevator motor has their own disconnect which was wired to the shunt.

To say that the internal aspects of an elevator wiring can do this is behond my level of knowledge.

To consider that there is any fault within the elevator would cause the shunt to operate is not
a stretch.

Thats what I asked the FD when they showed up while I was troubleshooting the lights, I traced the circuit from the elevator controller to a fused double pole disconnect(not identified), the line side was being fed by one circuit, the load side of one pole is for the lights, the other I am not sure. I shut the disconnect down to open the door and check voltage, ...
I'll assume you'll need to lable that! :)

In my case, there was a motor control contact in the elevator (motor) disconnect, which wired to the shunt, I believe through the F/A interface, in Elevator room. The cab light (fused - 10 amp) disconnect didn't interface with F/A in same room, just in to disconnect than ran over to elevator power trough.

I guess I'll ask a Elevator man next time I work with one...

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The disconnect is provided just to have a place to install a lock when turning the switch is off. Fuses are not required. We typically install the switches right next to the branch circuit panel feeding them.

fbhwt

Occupation
Seems odd to me, but alais I just bring in the service to what the elevator pep's need I never gave it a thought that this could happen, cab lights have there own disconnect and elevator motor has their own disconnect which was wired to the shunt.

To say that the internal aspects of an elevator wiring can do this is behond my level of knowledge.

To consider that there is any fault within the elevator would cause the shunt to operate is not
a stretch.

I'll assume you'll need to lable that! :)

In my case, there was a motor control contact in the elevator (motor) disconnect, which wired to the shunt, I believe through the F/A interface, in Elevator room. The cab light (fused - 10 amp) disconnect didn't interface with F/A in same room, just in to disconnect than ran over to elevator power trough.

I guess I'll ask a Elevator man next time I work with one...

This building is on a military base, I am a federal employee and work for facilities maintenance as an electrican, this is a fairly new building, we have contractors maintain the elevators, someone from our shop (not an electrician) was sent to this building to change lamps in the car, I was told after I was sent there that the person/persons put in the wrong wattage lamp(MR-16) causing the fuse on top of the car to blow. As far as the wiring at the disconnect, I think that there is a problem.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
The disconnect is provided just to have a place to install a lock when turning the switch is off. Fuses are not required. We typically install the switches right next to the branch circuit panel feeding them.

620.22 Branch Circuits for Car Lighting, Receptacle(s),
Ventilation, Heating, and Air-Conditioning.
(A) Car Light Source. A separate branch circuit shall supply
the car lights, receptacle(s), auxiliary lighting power source,
and ventilation on each elevator car. The overcurrent device
protecting the branch circuit shall be located in the elevator
machine room or control room/machinery space or control
space.
Required lighting shall not be connected to the load
side of a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
There are usually 2 disconnects in the elevator equipment room. One for the elevator motor, and one for the cab lights.

If the elevator shaft is sprinklered, then there is usually a shunt trip on the disconnect for the motor. And the shunt trip voltage is usually required to be monitored (often by the Fire alarm panel).

I've never heard of the Cab lights being monitored.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There are usually 2 disconnects in the elevator equipment room. One for the elevator motor, and one for the cab lights.

If the elevator shaft is sprinklered, then there is usually a shunt trip on the disconnect for the motor. And the shunt trip voltage is usually required to be monitored (often by the Fire alarm panel).

I've never heard of the Cab lights being monitored.

Being a military facility, you never know what stupidity the Army Corps of Engineers is going to stick in the spec package.

.....I shut the disconnect down to open the door and check voltage, turned it back on. After a few minutes I went to the lobby/entrance to the building(this is where the FACP is located)the FD was there along with the building manger. I was told by the FD that when I turned of the disconnect it tripped the shunt, he also told me that was the way it is suppose to be set up. I am still working on this and have not had a chance to review NFPA72.

The elevator is probably designed for shunt trip controlled by the FACP. The power that's used to energize the coil on the shunt trip is required by NFPA 72 to be supervised and initiate a supervisory signal. This power can be fed from a variety of sources...even DC...as long as it is supervised by the FACP. Do a search on this forum if you want more info on the shunt trip function and theory behind.:thumbsup:

Typically, the FD isn't dispatched on a supervisory signal...but probably different protocol for a military base.

Also, IIRC there are some replaceable buss type fuses for the in cab lights on the top of the cab of newer Thyssen Krupp elevators. Seems I've had to replace once when the in cab lights stopped working.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Most cab lights that I know of are part of the elevator equipment and its up to the elevator electricians.
They are usually fed from the emergency lighting panels and non shunt tripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.