2014 NEC free PDF access

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
I tried to access this with my new windows 8.1 notebook. After downloading java and try to open the NEC a message comes up that says the real read application is not trusted and was blocked by my security settings. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks for any help

crtemp

I tried to access this with my new windows 8.1 notebook. After downloading java and try to open the NEC a message comes up that says the real read application is not trusted and was blocked by my security settings. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks for any help

Do you have a link for this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Please do not post an illegal download on the forum. If what you downloaded is not working I suspect there may be issue with the program. Maybe wise not to open it.

You can access the 2014 NECon their website. nfpa.org

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
This is not an illegal download I have a NFPA
account and am signing in with email address And password. I have access to the 2011 NEC PDF after buying the 2011 code book that had a code on the back page. I have seen members in this forum ask how to get access to this PDF NEC before. The problem is with the security settings on my new PC. I was only looking for help in resolving the PC issue. The application is the real read applet.

Last edited:

480sparky

account and am signing in with email address And password. I have access to the 2011 NEC PDF after buying the 2011 code book that had a code on the back page. I have seen members in this forum ask how to get access to this PDF NEC before. The problem is with the security settings on my new PC. I was only looking for help in resolving the PC issue. The application is the real read applet.

Your 2011 NEC gives you a free 2014 PDF? :eek:hmy:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The NFPA online version of the NEC is presented in RealRead, a Java-based document viewer comparable to viewing scanned pages.

If you've updated to the most current Java software (Version 7 Update 51), security settings will block it. You have to open the Java Control Panel (Configure Java, in Java folder of traditional All Programs; typically C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.exe). Under the Security tab, in the Exception Site List, you'll have to add...
Code:
http://rrdocs.nfpa.org/

kwired

Electron manager

That free 2011 PDF that came with many hard copies was a free downloadable version. I think you are talking about the free access version to anyone, but difference is they made it so you have to register (for free), so they can bombard you with literature in both your e-mail as well as your snail mail, and it also uses additional software (that you are having problems with the security) but this particular "reader" only lets you view the document and doesn't let you download your own copy or cut, copy and paste content either(or at least the average user can not do that very easily).

mgookin

The NFPA online version of the NEC is presented in RealRead, a Java-based document viewer comparable to viewing scanned pages.

If you've updated to the most current Java software (Version 7 Update 51), security settings will block it. You have to open the Java Control Panel (Configure Java, in Java folder of traditional All Programs; typically C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.exe). Under the Security tab, in the Exception Site List, you'll have to add...
Code:
http://rrdocs.nfpa.org/

It's now 2014 and these idiots in the software industry still can't get it right. PDF has been around for how long? Java is trash. Adobe is a pig. A man spends his money, his time and part of his life to acquire something that is dysfunctional. He's made promises, he forks over the money, fills out all the forms, does the download... He gets nothing in return. That is an insult to put it lightly.

Version 7 Update 51
What a flippin joke! If those idiots can't get it right by Version 7 Update 50 they should be shot. If they can't get it right by Version 1 Update 2 they should be out of business.

Why do we tolerate this?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Thank you for that.

I see there is a 70 (NEC), a 70A (One and two family dwellings), a 70B for maintenance and a 70E for safety.

The 70 is 2014, 70(A) is from the 2005 NEC, 70B is 2013 and 70(E) is 2012.

I don't get why there is a 70(A) when it says 70 covers residential.....

So, now will we be seeing states having to adopt four code books as law to cover everything? And we would have to buy 4 code books if we wanted to be up to date and have the references in our vehicles in book form?

Geez, Louise....

kwired

Electron manager
It's now 2014 and these idiots in the software industry still can't get it right. PDF has been around for how long? Java is trash. Adobe is a pig. A man spends his money, his time and part of his life to acquire something that is dysfunctional. He's made promises, he forks over the money, fills out all the forms, does the download... He gets nothing in return. That is an insult to put it lightly.

Version 7 Update 51
What a flippin joke! If those idiots can't get it right by Version 7 Update 50 they should be shot. If they can't get it right by Version 1 Update 2 they should be out of business.

Why do we tolerate this?

Like I said they use a protocol that makes it more difficult to download your own copies, or cut/copy/paste from that protocol. PDF is easy to save and distribute to other parties even though it was only paid for one time - if that. You have to look at it from the publishers side of things also, if you wrote a book you wouldn't be too happy if there were more illegal copies that you never made any profit from then there were legal copies would you? That said there may still be problems with the method chosen to distribute and view the document, but we are talking about a free access on the web document also, you can always pay for your own hard copy, or pfd, or I believe they have versions for various electronic book readers also with the 2014.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Thank you for that.

I see there is a 70 (NEC), a 70A (One and two family dwellings), a 70B for maintenance and a 70E for safety.

The 70 is 2014, 70(A) is from the 2005 NEC, 70B is 2013 and 70(E) is 2012.

I don't get why there is a 70(A) when it says 70 covers residential.....

So, now will we be seeing states having to adopt four code books as law to cover everything? And we would have to buy 4 code books if we wanted to be up to date and have the references in our vehicles in book form?

Geez, Louise....

70A is just all the residential requirements pulled from the NEC 70 for folks who only do residential. In other words just a convenience, not a separate code.
70B and 70E are not used by AHJ's.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In many cases they're required to provide free access by law but no one said that they have to make it easy. Like other industries bent on preventing piracy the legitimate user gets it in the end.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I finally got so irritated with that Real Read version I ponied up the money for the true pdf document. The worst "feature" of the real read document is that you have to start at the beginning or end of a whole chapter. If you want to read something in NEC 250, you either start at 200 and keep clinking NEXT, or start at 300 and keep clicking PREV. And hope you don't accidentally hit the Full Left or Full Right button, or you'll be starting over again.

Real Read may meet the letter of the law in making code documents freely accessible, but it should really be easier than that, especially in a document that sends you forward and backwards a lot in referencing other sections. Having navigation access to each sub chapter (e.g. 200, 210, 220, ...) would help a lot. They should have to make things easier if they are writing a legally enforceable document (e.g. a building code).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm not advocating pirating but it's because of roadblocks like these that people resort to piracy in the first place.

mivey

If one had a mind to, they could scan their own copy, make a PDF, and OCR the thing and use it without bugs as they did not distribute it. If they had a mind to, that is.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Does the 2014 NEC pdf need the security plugin that the 2011 NEC pdf required?
I have the 2014 download I bought when I purchase the book-- I didn't have any issues with it.

Sounds like the OP has the 2011 but you cannot get the 2014 with the access code that came with the 2011. You should be able to download the 2011 but I had trouble and I call NFPA and they told me what to do-- can't remember now.

Status
Not open for further replies.