Propane Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

fayc11

Good Morning,

I have 2 natural gas Generators 555kw each

For a back up fuel supply Propane was suggested in which the generator will be rated at 365 kw each.

My question is... has anybody delt with propane as a fuel supply for emergency Generators in a hospital?

Any pros or cons using propane.?

Thank You

Ragin Cajun

Good Morning,

For a back up fuel supply Propane was suggested in which the generator will be rated at 365 kw each.

My question is... has anybody delt with propane as a fuel supply for emergency Generators in a hospital?

Thank You

Sure is going to run cleaner than diesel, no wet stacking, cleaner burning, etc.. Need to take care in locating the propane tank(s). Fuel cost will likely be more but since it's not used much it shouldn't be an issue.

Why did the capacity drop so much? I know it's lower on propane, but that sounds like too big a drop?

You might need to install a leak detector for propane if the generator is indoors.

RC

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You may need a vaporizer for the propane if you are in a cold weather area and the tank is outside. If the temperature is low enough, the propane many not vaporize fast enough to supply the engine.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The air/gas mixture needs to be different, so some adjustment would be necessary. Similar to changing the orifice on a furnace or dryer.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rcwilson

Natural gas is lighter than air. Propane is heavier than air. That might affect the Area Classification.

A propane leak will gather in the trenches and sumps and may travel along the floor, but a gas leak will rise and spread. The hazard "bubble" around the leak source might be a different shape.

A propane vaporizer will be needed.

John120/240

The AL/Health Care facility where I am at has a natural gas Caterpillar/Olympian Gen set. Nat Gas availability is not an issue here. To switch to propane would require an above ground tank & just not practical for our needs.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
LP Fuel setup

LP Fuel setup

Several parts of the fuel delivery system will not be correct for LP as it is a different animal to Natural.
As noted orifice sizes are different [smaller for LP] and also regulators, spring tensions in those operators etc.
LP has more BTU/lb. than natural.
I have never been invloved in and engine conversion but I have done plenty of gas fired appliances from N to LP.
Many of the principles remain the same, but you'd need someone with engine specific expertise to advise you such as the GEN Set OEM.
You still need block heaters and also trickle battery chargers if said units are not on exercise schedule.

All the best.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Good Morning,

Thank You

You mention that these machines are used in a Art. 700 setting. That would imply that NFPA 110 would also apply. Unless these machines are listed for such fuel you won't be able to do this. Also as a practical matter this is in a size range that LP would not be a good fuel choice for a number of reasons.

Usually in this size range, where an off site fuel supply such as NG from a utility, is not considered reliable enough to meet NFPA 110 diesel is the preferred fuel.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
You mention that these machines are used in a Art. 700 setting. That would imply that NFPA 110 would also apply. Unless these machines are listed for such fuel you won't be able to do this. Also as a practical matter this is in a size range that LP would not be a good fuel choice for a number of reasons.

Usually in this size range, where an off site fuel supply such as NG from a utility, is not considered reliable enough to meet NFPA 110 diesel is the preferred fuel.

I was thinking along the same lines. In fact, I think I just recently saw something that said emergency disaster shelters weren't supposed to rely on a utility for fuel supply. Not sure if this location is a disaster shelter, but most hospitals are usually considered that.

In addition, I though natural gas generators above the 150-200KVA range were insanely expensive compared to diesel.

Tom Jones

There are too many questions unanswered here.

Are you going to convert them to propane entirely? Gleaning from others statements, the manufacturer would have to be involved to re-certify them on a different fuel. This could probably be done fairly smoothly.

There are also options for some sets to run on natural unless the supply is gone, then switch to propane. This would be the best in my opinion, but not necessarily so in any given situation.

Generally, all that is needed to switch between propane and natural is carburetion ajustments and timing adjustments, although compression ratio might be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.