AFCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

gk351

I'm reading 210.12 A-C about AFCI's it says "all 120v single phase 15-20a Branch circuits supplying outlets or devices in dwelling kitchens, etc etc.

Art100 says outlet means " a point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment."

With this being said, does this cover all circuits that are not covered by GFCI? Is a fluorescent light considered utilization equip? The text insert says this includes lighting outlets? Just looking for a simple where it's not required answer, because the way I read, it's almost very circuit. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gk351

You have it right. Pretty much everything. It may be easier to AFCI everything vs plan what not. Just money.

That's what I was thinking. I don't get inspected in rural Illinois, but still think I should be installing them. Just not clear on where required, it would just be easier to say "anything not GFCI protected must be AFCI protected"

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That's what I was thinking. I don't get inspected in rural Illinois, but still think I should be installing them. Just not clear on where required, it would just be easier to say "anything not GFCI protected must be AFCI protected"

You are misunderstanding AFCI and GFCI requirements. They are not mutually exclusive. Under the 2014 NEC there are various branch circuits that will require both. For example, SABC's will require both.

That was a common "counter code" I would hear frequently during the 2008 and 2011 code cycles. "everything that is not GFCI needs to be AFCI. In those code cycles bathrooms and kitchens were not required to be AFCI so people came up with that incorrect statement. I would often also hear it stated that kitchen and bathroom lights need AFCI which went along with that idea that just the GFCI stuff was exempt, but again, all counter code.

gk351

You are misunderstanding AFCI and GFCI requirements. They are not mutually exclusive. Under the 2014 NEC there are various branch circuits that will require both. For example, SABC's will require both.

Thanks for pointing that out.

gk351

That was a common "counter code" I would hear frequently during the 2008 and 2011 code cycles. "everything that is not GFCI needs to be AFCI. In those code cycles bathrooms and kitchens were not required to be AFCI so people came up with that incorrect statement. I would often also hear it stated that kitchen and bathroom lights need AFCI which went along with that idea that just the GFCI stuff was exempt, but again, all counter code.

But pretty much all circuits listed in that article must be AFCI. Off the top of everyone's head, where isn't it reqd? The way I interpret the code, lighting wouldn't need to be, but that's apparently not right. I guess what I'm saying is, even though I can read the code doesn't mean I'll interpret it the way it should be

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm reading 210.12 A-C about AFCI's it says "all 120v single phase 15-20a Branch circuits supplying outlets or devices in dwelling kitchens, etc etc.

Art100 says outlet means " a point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment."

With this being said, does this cover all circuits that are not covered by GFCI? Is a fluorescent light considered utilization equip? The text insert says this includes lighting outlets? Just looking for a simple where it's not required answer, because the way I read, it's almost very circuit. Thanks

How is a fluorescent light, or any other light, not included in the definition of "utilization equipment"? If it ain't current that makes it light up what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.