410.4 (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dereckbc

Staff member
Doing a bathroom remodel and have an inspector giving me a hard time about a Light/Fan inside a walk-in shower, no tub. Fixture is recessed in ceiling, wet location listed, plastic grill, on a GFCI circuit. Local inspector is telling my I cannot have it inside the shower. 440.4 (D) says I can and my city is on code cycle 2011 with no amendments. Am I missing something?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Doing a bathroom remodel and have an inspector giving me a hard time about a Light/Fan inside a walk-in shower, no tub. Fixture is recessed in ceiling, wet location listed, plastic grill, on a GFCI circuit. Local inspector is telling my I cannot have it inside the shower. 440.4 (D) says I can and my city is on code cycle 2011 with no amendments. Am I missing something?
Just a guess, but if there is a receptacle inside the unit to allow the fan motor to be removed easily, the inspector may incorrectly be calling the whole unit "cord connected."
410.10(D) [2011]
No parts of cord-connected luminaires,.....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is no NEC rule that you would violate by installing a fan. Most fans require gfci when installed over the shower but that is a manufacturer instruction not NEC rule

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

It sounds like you are correct and the inspector is wrong.

Ask for a specific code reference in which the inspector thinks is being violated.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Just a guess, but if there is a receptacle inside the unit to allow the fan motor to be removed easily, the inspector may incorrectly be calling the whole unit "cord connected."
410.10(D) [2011]

I just took a look at a NuTone drawing. It looks like it uses Molex type receptacles and connectors with individual conductors, no cords.

I don't know if Dereck has the same set up, but I suspect he does.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
There is no NEC rule that you would violate by installing a fan. Most fans require gfci when installed over the shower but that is a manufacturer instruction not NEC rule

Splitting a hair here Dennis but OP said it was fan/light combo.

dereckbc

Staff member
OK guys thanks. Here is the spec sheet of the fixture. It is installed on a 20 amp GFCI breaker shared with bar light above sink, and two recessed cans. As for wall switches, light shares switch with the rest of the bathroom lights, and fan is dedicated switch with Fart Fan above toilet 5-feet away on ceiling.

NuTone XN110L Spec Sheet.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dereck this says it all

U.L. Listed for use over bathtubs and showers when connected to a
GFCI protected branch circuit (ceiling mount only).
U.L. Listed for use in insulated ceilings (Type IC).
3-year warranty on product, 1-year warranty on bulbs.

dereckbc

Staff member
Dereck this says it all
Thanks Dennis I thought I knew that and needed a sanity check. Sounds like me and inspector need a talk. I will tell him to see a judge to kick me out of my house of 8 years over a God -%#!$ fan and $60K remodel project which I paid $459 permit fee. Forgive my language.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.