Now that it is 2014 - replacement outlets AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

We're on 08 till heaven knows when here in PA, but out of curiosity, if you replace an outlet with a AFI outlet, do you have to wire it to protect downstream outlets as well? Do any existing wiring issues become your problem now that you replace a receptacle? If so, when are we gonna organize a sit-in or a march on Washington?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
2011 only allowed you to install an arc fault receptacle if it was installed at the first outlet and the wiring between the Ovecurrent device in the panel and the first outlet was in Rigid,IMC,EMT or MC.

Otherwise you had to install an Arc Fault Breaker.

Not true as a replacement of an outlet.
The wording is very clear.
Use either a AFCI receptacle or protect it by an upstream breaker or Receptacle. We have three choices and Leviton makes one that will provide two of the choices.

DO I like this no.

:rant:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We're on 08 till heaven knows when here in PA, but out of curiosity, if you replace an outlet with a AFI outlet, do you have to wire it to protect downstream outlets as well? Do any existing wiring issues become your problem now that you replace a receptacle? If so, when are we gonna organize a sit-in or a march on Washington?
The exact wording quoted allows you to either
use an AFCI breaker as the replacement (and either connect it for feed through protection or not) or to
install an AFCI receptacle or breaker upstream and then just replace the receptacle in question with one that meets any applicable GFCI and TR requirements.
If in addition to the replacement you also extend the circuit enough to trigger the requirement, then you have to protect everything.

rcarroll

But in the rare case you might be replacing a outlet , would you make it AFCI protected?
I have 2 outlets that will have to be replaced soon. Yes I will AFCI the outlets. I will first have to trace them out to see if I want to go with a breaker or the new fangled AFCI recep. One is by a small sink in a bedroom. So, GFCI as well.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Use either a AFCI receptacle or protect it by an upstream breaker or Receptacle. We have three choices and Leviton makes one that will provide two of the choices.

DO I like this no.

Are you reading the same 210.12A Exception #1 that I am?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
.........., do you have to wire it to protect downstream outlets as well? Do any existing wiring issues become your problem now that you replace a receptacle? If so, when are we gonna organize a sit-in or a march on Washington?

Apparently you do not have to protect any other outlet that the one replaced. WOW I thought AFCI was to protect for Faulty wiring in the building. Having a AFCI outlet that will only protect the device plugged in. I suppose the CMP is looking forward to more crap electrical goods from China.

As far as the sit in I'm there! ;)

Boy Looks like I'll be there a lot in the future.

Obama Care
NSA
IRS
Immigration

Gonna be busy!:cool:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Are you reading the same 210.12A Exception #1 that I am?

You need to look at 406. Section 210.12 is only about branch circuits.
406 covers devices such as receptacles. 406 is not concerned about the Branch circuit.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
is there a new exception 210.12 C?

No not that I know of. As I said 210.12 is not what applies as a replacement of a receptacle.
read all of 406 please.........

210 has no relevancy to this topic. 201 is about protecting a branch Circuit.
Am I missing something:eek:hmy:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
No not that I know of. As I said 210.12 is not what applies as a replacement of a receptacle.
read all of 406 please.........

210 has no relevancy to this topic. 201 is about protecting a branch Circuit.
Am I missing something:eek:hmy:
Only a possible confusion about what changes will trigger a requirement to protect the whole existing branch circuit up to new rules.
And replacing a receptacle is not one of them.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

DO I like this no.

Well there's the answer right there. Whats the confusion about?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Replacement Receptacles Residential

Replacement Receptacles Residential

So Let's bump this one , I can't belive there is such little comment. :?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Which describes the requirements for each replaced outlet. But it does not (as extending the circuit would) trigger upgrading the entire circuit, including any receptacles that are not being replaced.

Tapatalk!

Ohms law

Because nobody seems to make them at this time.
(A preference to sell two devices, one of them a breaker, instead of just one? Or maybe technical limitations putting them into the same package when using the 6ma sensitivity?)
Don't forget tamper resistant too, just to kill more space inside the device. :)

I just attended a class on the 2014 changes. Our city and state inspectors put this class on and they said Cutler Hammer makes a AFCI/GFCI combo breaker, as of right now there are other companies that make them but not in production yet.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Don't forget:

90.4 Enforcement.

This Code may require new products, constructions, or
materials that may not yet be available at the time the Code
is adopted. In such event, the authority having jurisdiction
may permit the use of the products, constructions, or materials
that comply with the most recent previous edition of
this Code adopted by the jurisdiction.