Occ sensor/Power Pack Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Have to run (4) #18's from power pack to occupancy sensor. Is it code to run them "free-air" without a raceway above a drop ceiling? Thanks,

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Have to run (4) #18's from power pack to occupancy sensor. Is it code to run them "free-air" without a raceway above a drop ceiling? Thanks,
Does the manufacturer's documentation as well as markings on the equipment categorize the occupancy sensor circuit as Class 2 or Class 3?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Oh.What would you use to run it. Flex, with wire or a cable. When you say cable do you mean an armored cable?
Either... even possibly conduit (EMT?), JB's, and flex whips. A fair amount of options and considerations, the first of which would be any limitations imposed by the job spec's. Others may be what typical wiring method is being used on this job and others like it, what materials are most likely to be readily available, number and length of these runs, runs in environmental air spaces (plenum)...

Refer to Article 725 for NEC minimum requirements and alternative wiring methods.

mstrlucky74

Either... even possibly conduit (EMT?), JB's, and flex whips. A fair amount of options and considerations, the first of which would be any limitations imposed by the job spec's. Others may be what typical wiring method is being used on this job and others like it, what materials are most likely to be readily available, number and length of these runs, runs in environmental air spaces (plenum)...

Refer to Article 725 for NEC minimum requirements and alternative wiring methods.

Thanks. Does MC cable come stock in #18's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Thanks. Does MC cable come stock in #18's?
The only 18 AWG MC cable I'm aware of is MC-HL Instrumentation Cable. Standard MC building cable is not smaller than 14 AWG. I've not priced either, but my guess is 14/4 MC costs less than 18/2-pair MC-HL

Status
Not open for further replies.