Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A couple of differences:
Steel City box
is deeper
has bracket for screwing to steel stud instead of nailing to wood stud
has built in cable clamps.
I am sure those are not the only differences that affect cost, but it will get you started.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
So no MC connector at box is the Steel City is used?

yes,

are theses specs for the job?

both boxes do not serve the same purposes. they are apples and oranges.
I would not be using the steel city if deep boxes are not needed. Both companies offer shallow versions and both offer Deep verisions.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
http://www-public.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=52171MSX

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/RACO_datasheet.asp?PN=196
Are these essentially the same boxes? The Steel City is almost twice the price and I don;t know why? Thanks.

Adding to the excellent answers you have already received. Almost anything that reduces labor is going to cost you more. The bracket design is completely different. If you are paying guys $9 an hour to install them like in Florida, the offset savings are different than when you are paying $20 in California. The T and B box snaps on to a metal stud in seconds. Either side, no additional work required. The Raco box has to be held up and screwed, but only to the flat side of a metal stud. If you need to go to the open side, you end up scrounging a piece of bottom track, cutting it screwing it up and then screwing the box on. Years ago (in the 90's) I discovered the snap on boxes they were new. I bought some to rough a job. My boss (the owner) called me a chewed me out for spending so much. Two day's later he came to the job, snapped on his tool belt (like he was prone to do) and said, "What do you want me to do boss?" I naturally said, "layout and box." At the end of the day he came up to me and said he would never buy the other boxes for that application again. You just have to understand all of the contributing factors and decide which is best for which application.

Status
Not open for further replies.