Wiring I-1 or R-4 Assisted Living

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbendillo

My firm has been asked to render an opinion on whether wiring in an existing facility, which is probably wired in Romex, will have to be replaced if the building is used as I-1 or R-4 occupancy for an assisted living facility. In my research so far, it seems that the deciding factor is the type of construction. Can't find anything in the building code that addresses wiring. It does not fall under the requirements for healthcare facilities in my opinion. 334.10(3) under Uses Permitted states "Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12."

So unless this is Type I or II construction it seems like romex is permitted. Does anybody have any information to the contrary?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Read Article 334.12(2). You can't have NM above a dropped ceiling unless its a 1 or 2 family dwelling.

Also, 334.10(3). You have to have a 15 min. finish rating over NM cable for types II, IV, or V.

John120/240

In the 150 Apartment Assisted Living/Skilled Nursing facility where I work every thing is in MC cable or EMT conduit.
This is a three story building. There is no treatment or exam areas that require Health Care MC cable.

mgookin

My firm has been asked to render an opinion on whether wiring in an existing facility, which is probably wired in Romex, will have to be replaced if the building is used as I-1 or R-4 occupancy for an assisted living facility. In my research so far, it seems that the deciding factor is the type of construction. Can't find anything in the building code that addresses wiring. It does not fall under the requirements for healthcare facilities in my opinion. 334.10(3) under Uses Permitted states "Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12."

So unless this is Type I or II construction it seems like romex is permitted. Does anybody have any information to the contrary?

You are asked to render an opinion.

The way I read it you are asked to render two opinions:
1) For an I-1 occupancy classification, and,
2) For an R-4 occupancy classification.

You are not telling us how many square feet per floor, how many stories, whether the building is existing or proposed, if existing what construction type it was built under, etc.

All of that to the side, if you envoke the "...other structures permitted to be of Types ..." you are, in my opinion, playing with fire. The issue has been beat back and forth on these forums. A quick example: Someone builds a building of Type II construction and an EC comes along and on his own looks at the building code and concludes "well it COULD HAVE been built as Type III so I'll use romex". A year later phase two comes along to add another wing, another story, or just reconfigure an area of the building in an arrangement that does not allow Type III. Who gets hung?

Status
Not open for further replies.