SkillsUSA preliminary contest Industral Motors Controls Written test Q8 -- revised

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

SkillsUSA preliminary contest Industral Motors Controls Written test Q8 -- revised

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
What is the number of conductors in a conduit containing a grounding wire, two 3-phase feeders and a neutral?

Also Code References??

I think the "two 3-phase feeders" needs additional clarification but probably is intended to mean "3 phase conductors only per feeder".

Based on that there is 8 conductors. I don't see that a code reference needs to apply to the answer of this one.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I read it to say 2 x 3 +1 +1
I don't know a Code reference for counting

The question might be asking "Number of current carrying conductors"

fmtjfw

My assumption is that a 3-phase feeder means three hot wires. The question also states a neutral, which can be shared between the two 3-phase feeders. (and the shared grounding wire) I 've got to be a little tricky:roll:

fmtjfw

I read it to say 2 x 3 +1 +1
I don't know a Code reference for counting

The question might be asking "Number of current carrying conductors"

Q7 asked about CCCs with the same configuration. The intent with Q7 was to check that a neutral with linear loads was not counted and the grounding was not counted.

Q8 asked about conductors. Some people don't count the grounding as a conductor in conduit fill.

fmtjfw

And that is being tricky!

You got to separate the men from the boys.

Almost all questions contain keywords you can find in the NEC index which then lead you to the proper code. On the vain assumption that the contestants have been taught simple test taking skills (look for the keywords) and are able to use an index (even one as poorly presented as the NEC's) then you have to put in a question of two that require thought.

fmtjfw

My Answer

My Answer

B

(8) What is the number of conductors in a conduit containing a grounding wire, three sets of 3-way travelers and a neutral?
This is simple just count the number of wires ? 8. The grounding wire is an Equipment Grounding Conductor.
Code Ref:
Index:
Conductor fill ? General installations

fmtjfw

Revised question per input

Revised question per input

What is the number of conductors in a conduit containing a grounding wire, two 3-phase feeders branch circuits and a neutral?

What is the number of conductors in a conduit containing a grounding wire, two 3-phase feeders and a neutral associated with one feeder?

kwired

Electron manager
How did one question turn into two questions?:?

I also think if you want to throw a little trickiness in there you best be accurate with all the details, I would recommend changing "grounding wire" to "equipment grounding conductor" as that is what the NEC calls it, and does a consistent job of referring to it as that, and same goes when talking about the "grounded conductor" though the term neutral is used, it is one of those situations that is a little trickier sometimes and you need to watch the use of those two words and use them in same manner as the NEC does IMO.

The word "conduit" is not foreign to NEC but in the field is a little more of a word just thrown around. NEC generally uses the term "raceway" and the word "conduit" is generally a more specific descriptive word for a particular "raceway" such as "flexible metal conduit" or "rigid metal conduit".

Last edited:

fmtjfw

How did one question turn into two questions?:?

I also think if you want to throw a little trickiness in there you best be accurate with all the details, I would recommend changing "grounding wire" to "equipment grounding conductor" as that is what the NEC calls it, and does a consistent job of referring to it as that, and same goes when talking about the "grounded conductor" though the term neutral is used, it is one of those situations that is a little trickier sometimes and you need to watch the use of those two words and use them in same manner as the NEC does IMO.

The word "conduit" is not foreign to NEC but in the field is a little more of a word just thrown around. NEC generally uses the term "raceway" and the word "conduit" is generally a more specific descriptive word for a particular "raceway" such as "flexible metal conduit" or "rigid metal conduit".

Two alternative ways of clarifying the original question.

OK - EGC not GC.

Raceways / Conduits -- Index entry to find CCC information is in Conduit not in Raceway
the CCC and Conductor Count questions are the same (other than CCC and Count).

100 Neutral Point. The common point on a wye-connection in
a polyphase system or midpoint on a single-phase, 3-wire
system, or midpoint of a single-phase portion of a 3-phase
delta system, or a midpoint of a 3-wire, direct-current system.

kwired

Electron manager
Two alternative ways of clarifying the original question.

OK - EGC not GC.

Raceways / Conduits -- Index entry to find CCC information is in Conduit not in Raceway
the CCC and Conductor Count questions are the same (other than CCC and Count).

100 Neutral Point. The common point on a wye-connection in
a polyphase system or midpoint on a single-phase, 3-wire
system, or midpoint of a single-phase portion of a 3-phase
delta system, or a midpoint of a 3-wire, direct-current system.

Well if we want to be absolutely correct, Art 100 includes a "Neutral conductor", and a "Neutral point" but no "Neutral":p

I was just saying if you want to be tricky with wording, make sure you use terms correctly and don't leave anything open to interpretation, though that is nearly impossible, all it takes is one slight mis-use of a word and you have what can be considered unfair or invalid question there.

Status
Not open for further replies.