Service Gear Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Yes... With "et cetera" in there, is there really any other option? :huh:
IDK..that's why I'm asking. L brackets on the outside? I know when dist panels are mounted against a wall it's strut but was not sure when mounting to a concrete pad.

Last edited:

cadpoint

Set the gear and drill when in place! I won't try to placing threaded rod in concrete to
bolt holes. I care but the concrete guy could care less about placement/set.

.3/8" or .1/2" expansion bolt your good!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
IDK..that's why I'm asking. L brackets on the outside? I know when dist panels are mounted against a wall it's strut but was not sure when mounting to a concrete pad.
I prefer anchor bolts from internal framework (some have anchor gussets in the section corners)... but depending on how the "guts" are arranged, may not be possible in all cases. External L brackets anchored to pad and gear is an option... continuous for aesthetics.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Does anyone (besides me) require this size gear to have 'mounting rails' imbedded in the concrete pad to aid in leveling and alignment?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Does anyone (besides me) require this size gear to have 'mounting rails' imbedded in the concrete pad to aid in leveling and alignment?
FWIW, I've not run into any spec'd embedded rails in my entire career.

If spec'ing rails, I would hope that includes the rails being securely braced to each other prior to pour. If the rails are off even a fraction of an inch, that could make the installer very frustrated. It's not exactly an easy task getting thousand plus pound equipment aligned to just one rail let alone two which are not perfectly parallel... :happysad:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't know about switch gear but usually the kinds of stuff we supply if it is floor mounted they pour a pad and grout whatever touches the floor. There is no way to get a pad flat enough otherwise.

One customer we have has a practice of only grouting in the corners and a few places in the middle, and they foam under the thing the rest of the way. I thought it was odd the first time I saw it but it is cheap and works well.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
FWIW, I've not run into any spec'd embedded rails in my entire career.

If spec'ing rails, I would hope that includes the rails being securely braced to each other prior to pour. If the rails are off even a fraction of an inch, that could make the installer very frustrated. It's not exactly an easy task getting thousand plus pound equipment aligned to just one rail let alone two which are not perfectly parallel... :happysad:

I have seen them take a piece of angle iron after it is set in place and bolt it to the floor and then to the MCC, but not embedded in the concrete.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
I have seen them take a piece of angle iron after it is set in place and bolt it to the floor and then to the MCC, but not embedded in the concrete.

This is what we normally do also. If not just 3/8" or 1/2" drop in anchors with all-thread is sufficient in most areas. Unless your in a area with a lot of seismic activity (West Coast of US or overseas somewhere). Then to keep it seismic qualified you have to secure it to the slab as manufactured instructions say. Usually the holes in the Gear framing are large enough to get a drop-in in.:)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have seen some older installs done that way, but have never seen it as a design spec on any job I have ever worked on.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I think specs like that are just a victim of economics...engineering design by bean counters, not engineers.

It costs too much and it is too difficult to install rails, but there is lots of time and money to shim and force the equipment into some kind of 'tolerable' alignment.

You should not need a pry bar to get a door to open or close.
Yes some of it is marginal manufacturing, but a lot of it is equipment not being level and true.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Yes, I have done that several occasions. One where the existing gear had problems with racking style breakers due to the pad being so uneven. Here's a recent one for a 25000 pound generator where the steel was set with a laser and mounted on strut:

2012-06-27_07-40-11_1.jpg

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, I have done that several occasions. One where the existing gear had problems with racking style breakers due to the pad being so uneven.

If I am paying for breakers that rack, then I will gladly pay for channels in the pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.