Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The selection of the answers will be based on the type of receptacle used. The type is not specified in the question.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
210.21(B)(3)...

However, it should be specified two or more receptacles or outlets on branch circuit. If there is only one, it cannot be a 15A receptacle [210.21(B)(1)].

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Huh? It's a simple code question, with a simple answer.
Actually it is not a simple code question...there is not enough information to make it a simple code question. That is the problem when dealing with the NEC, and especially in writing NEC questions, you really need all of the details to arrive at the correct code answer.

fmtjfw

Actually it is not a simple code question...there is not enough information to make it a simple code question. That is the problem when dealing with the NEC, and especially in writing NEC questions, you really need all of the details to arrive at the correct code answer.

You are right.

However. if I had been taking the test and saw that two answers were required, the two answers I would have filled in would have been 15A & 20A 120V. If there was one answer, there would have been ambiguity.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You are right.

However. if I had been taking the test and saw that two answers were required, the two answers I would have filled in would have been 15A & 20A 120V. If there was one answer, there would have been ambiguity.
But, 20A and 30A, 120 volt are also possible answers.

fmtjfw

But, 20A and 30A, 120 volt are also possible answers.

OK, I answered 15A & 20A 120V.

As to 30A 120V:

210.21 Outlet Devices. Outlet devices shall have an ampere
rating that is not less than the load to be served and
shall comply with 210.21(A) and (B).

(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit.
A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit
shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch
circuit.

(3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit
supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle
ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table
210.21(B)(3)

OK, so it appears that you can use any ampere rated receptacle greater than or equal to the branch circuit rating, if there is exactly one outlet on the circuit.

It also appears that you can only use the ampere rated receptacle(s) called out in T210.21(B)(3) if there are two or more outlets in the circuit.

It also appears when "something" (presumably the circuit) is rated higher than 50 amperes then the receptacle rating must be equal to or higher than the branch circuit rating.

Have I finally figured it out?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

I found that to be so true. Once, when serving as president of the local IAEI, one of my tasks was preparing Code questions. Mr. John Minick, the Chairman of CMP1 sat in on one of our meetings and managed to slaughter my supposedly well thought out simple questions :D

fmtjfw

You think you have an answer -- har har har

You think you have an answer -- har har har

And here too. Putting out a question and an answer in from of you guys, is something like waving a red flag in front of the firing squad. Keep it up, I'm learning and will produce a better contest next year.

THANKS

fmtjfw

I found that to be so true. Once, when serving as president of the local IAEI, one of my tasks was preparing Code questions. Mr. John Minick, the Chairman of CMP1 sat in on one of our meetings and managed to slaughter my supposedly well thought out simple questions :D

What we do is put the CMP members on the code panel, answering the questions and let them claw each other.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
.... Keep it up, I'm learning and will produce a better contest next year...
Suggest making thread titles slightly to notably different on the front end. You have at least four current threads that appear exactly the same in a thread list. I have to rely on the content pop-up to distinguish between them.

fmtjfw

My Answer

My Answer

A and B

(5) What size receptacles can be used on a 120V 20A circuit?

210.21(B)(3) and associated table indicate that 120V 20A circuit can have 15 and 20A receptacles.
Code Ref:
210.21(B)(3) Table 210.21(B)(3)
Index:
Receptacles, cord connectors, and attachment plugs (caps) ? Ratings for various size circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.