Disconnect Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

We have a control panel with a disconnect switch. We would like to remote mount a Hubbell 480v 3 phase 30amp Twist Lock Flanged inlet connector (HBL-2735)to the side of the machine and wire that into the disconnect. The Hubbell connector will be inside an enclosure and will require removing screws to access.

I would expect the problem to be that the complete machine will not be de-energized when the disconnect is open. The 10' or so of wire from inlet to connector to the disconnect will be live.

The application is a large printer. We manufacture the printers and ship worldwide.

Am I going to have a problem with the CE inspector?

thank you,
PowerSupplyGuy

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Greetings,

We have a control panel with a disconnect switch. We would like to remote mount a Hubbell 480v 3 phase 30amp Twist Lock Flanged inlet connector (HBL-2735)to the side of the machine and wire that into the disconnect. The Hubbell connector will be inside an enclosure and will require removing screws to access.

I would expect the problem to be that the complete machine will not be de-energized when the disconnect is open. The 10' or so of wire from inlet to connector to the disconnect will be live.

The application is a large printer. We manufacture the printers and ship worldwide.

Am I going to have a problem with the CE inspector?

thank you,
PowerSupplyGuy

What is a CE inspector?

Any disconnecting means will always have power on the line side.

This arrangement might well be considered safer as you can remove the power to the line side of the disconnect via the plug/receptacle arrangement.

Why would a printer need a disconnecting means anyway?

Last edited:
What is a CE inspector?

Any disconnecting means will always have power on the line side.

This arrangement might well be considered safer as you can remove the power to the line side of the disconnect via the plug/receptacle arrangement.

Why would a printer need a disconnecting means anyway?

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure why it needs a disconnect. That was done by one of my coworkers. It's a control panel with a bunch of relays, a PLC, some breakers and so forth.

A CE inspector is an outside house that examines your gear to establish that you are in compliance with all applicable standards. Low voltage directive and so forth. We like to put a CE label on the gear.

These printers are 5 meters wide and weigh more than an F350 pickup.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure why it needs a disconnect. That was done by one of my coworkers. It's a control panel with a bunch of relays, a PLC, some breakers and so forth.

A CE inspector is an outside house that examines your gear to establish that you are in compliance with all applicable standards. Low voltage directive and so forth. We like to put a CE label on the gear.

These printers are 5 meters wide and weigh more than an F350 pickup.

480V sounds like US voltages and CE is meaningless here and not accepted for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.