5kv shielded cable testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

transman2

Is it required that a new 5kv shielded cable be meggered or hi-pot testing when it arrives on the job site and if so which method would be correct? Also should 600v cable be tested as well?

transman2

Can anyone answer

Can anyone answer

Is it required that a new 5kv shielded cable be meggered or hi-pot testing when it arrives on the job site and if so which method would be correct? Also should 600v cable be tested as well?

Is this not a good question!! I'm guessing no one does this! Wow!

Rich Elec.

Your way of writing is coming across as demanding.

You are asking if testing new reel of 5kv and/or 600v cable required to be meggered or high pot tested.
Who do you wonder would require this testing?
Some job sites have this requirement, others do not.
Are you the purchaser of this cable?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is this not a good question!! I'm guessing no one does this! Wow!

OK, I will take a shot at it:
With a full reel of new cable on the line I would make sure that the person doing the testing knew the difference between destructive and nondestructive testing.
And that the ends were properly prepared.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

transman2

Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!

I don't want a member to think I'm coming across as being demanding! Oh don't be sensitive it's only a question but thanks GoldDigger for taking a shot at it.

zog

Megger test followed by a PD, Tan Delta, or VLF test.

600V just a Megger.

It all depends on the EOR or your organizations requirements. We perform a megger test on new reels of shielded cable when they are delivered to insure there is no internal damage on the reel.
After installation, our requirements are a HI-POT for new cable in accordance with manufacturer?s recommendations or NETA standards for new installations.
Thereafter, on in-service cable VLF, or reduced HI-POT values again as per NETA.
As for 600 V cable, you can perform a megger test, but I never have seen it done. I have only seen resistance readings for cable length performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.