cutting in a masonry box. epoxy or hydraulic cement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It matters to me, to do a good job.
Just wondering how others support a masonry box cut into brick.
Foam sealant (Great Stuff, etc.) in a can?

IMO, hydraulic cement mixed stiff enough to stay in the voids makes it hard to work with.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I start with plastic wedges then mix up some mortar and fill in the gaps. It makes a real nice install.

I agree, brick is set with mortar mix so just use the same thing. Cheap and easy to work with.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Liquid nails

Liquid nails

Insert shims on the side of the masonry box so that is tight. Then use Liquid Nails. You will be good to go with no mess.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I do not have a problem with you doing a good job. Just curious why you think hydraulic cement is how to get there. It is very hard to work with for an amateur. It will almost certainly look awful afterward.

It is used where you want to fill in cracks to make them waterproof, because it expands as it cures.

There are much better options available including just regular mortar or foam sealant as others have suggested.

I think you can buy a mortar like product that comes in a tube, like caulk. Just pump it around the box after it is glued and secured in place.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

just curious - how were you taught to handle this during your apprenticeship?

I may have jumped on you more than I should have for suggesting the use of hydraulic cement for this application. It is just a really awful idea.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Have to cut in a masonry box. What the better install? Hydraulic cement or epoxy?
you could spray foam it, but if you wanted it in securely, and completely waterproof,
i'd use 3M 550 urethane. comes in a tube.

put some wedges to hold it, and squirt the stuff around the box.
it's flexible, and won't tear out. i had some disconnects i mounted on
ducting next to package units, and put a bead of the stuff around them
to keep ick from getting behind the disconnect.

once it dried, the bolts were completely irrelevant.

don't get it on your fingers. once you do, any attempt to get it off,
is irrelevant.

kwired

Electron manager
Have to cut in a masonry box. What the better install? Hydraulic cement or epoxy?

What is the use of the box? A toggle switch installed in the box wouldn't normally get the same kind of physical activity working on the mounting means as a receptacle, then consider some heavy duty receptacle that takes more force to insert or remove a cord cap compared to one that doesn't take so much force, another possibility of creating a little excess forces is hanging a luminaire from the box.

Jacob S

Insert shims on the side of the masonry box so that is tight. Then use Liquid Nails. You will be good to go with no mess.

+1 for this! I always use construction adhesive, typically PL premium, and have had no issues. I cut the brick or block fairly tight to the box, so there is an 1/8" gap and the adhesive fills it perfectly. I have not figured out how to use spray foam on small cracks without getting it everywhere.

cadpoint

... I cut the brick or block fairly tight to the box, so there is an 1/8" gap and the adhesive fills it perfectly. I have not figured out how to use spray foam on small cracks without getting it everywhere.
+1 &
I like Silicon

JJWalecka

just curious - how were you taught to handle this during your apprenticeship?

I may have jumped on you more than I should have for suggesting the use of hydraulic cement for this application. It is just a really awful idea.

I was taught to use hydraulic cement, mortor. But someone mentioned using epoxy, the other day at work and Iwondered what was the easiest/best way to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.