qualified person problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

What I found odd is that to pass the Ohio test you have questions on business and law and NEC.
The WV test covers only NEC.
Yet a WV Master I assume can get an Ohio Electrical Contractor license without taking the business and law elements.

It's not odd, the NC test uses business questions in their tests and will supply free literature for just that purpose.

fmtjfw

I found the answer:

You need a WV Master's License.
You need a WV Contractors License
You need to have tested in WV for these licenses
You need liability Insurance at least $500,000.
You are US Citizen or Legal Alien.
You must never have been convicted of a felony

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I found the answer:

You need a WV Master's License.
You need a WV Contractors License
You need to have tested in WV for these licenses
You need liability Insurance at least $500,000.
You are US Citizen or Legal Alien.
You must never have been convicted of a felony
I think the last one is a bit discriminatory. Should be something like not currently paroled or serving a probationary sentence.

fmtjfw

Felony conviction is no bar to getting an electrician's license in WV.

WV has the theory that if you do the crime and serve your time, there is no need to make it hard to get a decent job after your release. (Doesn't apply to crimes like sex offender).

In fact some prisons have (had?) certified 1080 hour programs that allow a prisoner who passes the course the opportunity to sit for the Journeyman's Test.

Several years ago three releasees took the test and ACED it. The Fire Marshal's office reviewed the video of the testing to see how the did it. The instructor said, If you are in prison, how much time do you have to study? The result was that these guys had basically memorized the NEC.

[Years ago I was making a business trip to Australia. I had to apply for a visa. One of the questions was "Have you been convicted of a Felony?". I had no idea how to answer, since in the beginning it was virtually a requirement to get yourself shipped to Australia.]

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
(B) To qualify to take an examination, an individual shall:

(1) Be at least eighteen years of age;

(2) Be a United States citizen or legal alien who produces valid documentation to demonstrate the individual is a legal resident of the United States;

(3) Either have been a tradesperson in the type of licensed trade for which the application is filed for not less than five years immediately prior to the date the application is filed, be a currently registered engineer in this state with three years of business experience in the construction industry in the trade for which the engineer is applying to take an examination, or have other experience acceptable to the appropriate section of the board;

(4) Maintain contractor's liability insurance, including without limitation, complete operations coverage, in an amount the appropriate section of the board determines;

(5) Not have done any of the following:

(a) Been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a crime of moral turpitude or a disqualifying offense as those terms are defined in section 4776.10 of the Revised Code;

(b) Violated this chapter or any rule adopted pursuant to it;

(c) Obtained or renewed a license issued pursuant to this chapter, or any order, ruling, or authorization of the board or a section of the board by fraud, misrepresentation, or deception;

(d) Engaged in fraud, misrepresentation, or deception in the conduct of business.

Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.131,SB 337, ?1, eff. 9/28/2012.

Effective Date: 09-18-2001; 09-16-2004; 03-30-2007

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4740.06

4740.08 Reciprocity.

When a written reciprocity agreement between the states exists, and an individual who is registered, licensed, or certified in another state applies to the appropriate section of the Ohio construction industry licensing board submits a copy of the reciprocity agreement, and pays the licensure fee determined pursuant to section 4740.09 of the Revised Code, the appropriate section of the board shall authorize the administrative section to issue, without examination, a license to that individual if the appropriate section of the board determines, pursuant to rules it adopts, that the requirements for registration, licensure, or certification under the laws of the other state are substantially equal to the requirements for licensure in this state and that the other state extends similar reciprocity to persons licensed under this chapter. The appropriate section of the board may withdraw its authorization to the administrative section for issuance of a license for good cause prior to the administrative section's issuance of the license.

Effective Date: 09-18-2001; 09-16-2004; 03-30-2007

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4740.08

Smart $

Esteemed Member
(5) Not have done any of the following:

(a) Been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a crime of moral turpitude or a disqualifying offense as those terms are defined in section 4776.10 of the Revised Code;

Thanks for posting the base Revised Code.

Regarding the crime or offense being discriminatory, just follow the links to see how much so. It's pretty much lawyer rhetoric to use practically any criminal legal proceeding to disallow a contractor's license... if they want to.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Washington has a state wide electrical certificaion and local jurdisctions can not require additional certification. cities can do their own electrical inspection.
To be an electrical contractor requires using certified electricians and having an electrical administror (8 years experience)
Homeowners, businesses and industrial don't have to be certified to do electrical work, but permits and inspections are still required.
To be come a journey level (we are now gender neutral) requires 4 years experince as a trainee or graduate from an appreticeship.

Electrical licensing has been in effect since 1919.

Status
Not open for further replies.