3 family service panel locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm installing a new 200 amp service (3 meter 3 panels) in the basement. In the picture below, the 2 existing panels would be replaced by 2 new ones and I'm going to try and squeeze my 3rd panel to the left of those 2. If you notice in the picture, there is a ledge to the left of those panels. Would an inspector give me a hard time about that? Or do you guys think I would be better off putting my 2 panels higher and putting the 3rd one below the other 2. Any feedback would be great! Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Hey, I'm installing a new 200 amp service (3 meter 3 panels) in the basement. In the picture below, the 2 existing panels would be replaced by 2 new ones and I'm going to try and squeeze my 3rd panel to the left of those 2. If you notice in the picture, there is a ledge to the left of those panels. Would an inspector give me a hard time about that? Or do you guys think I would be better off putting my 2 panels higher and putting the 3rd one below the other 2. Any feedback would be great! Thanks

Hello,Welcome to the forum:)

Is that the floor,or is the picture sideways?

kwired

Electron manager
The ledge below is not too hard to deal with - frame the lower floor and raise it so there is no step. (some may see a single step like that as a violation and some may not, the wording is not all that clear either way)

The ledge above becomes a potential 110.26(E) violation of dedicated equipment space. If you don't want to deal with those potential problems there is nothing wrong with stacking as long as the highest breaker isn't too high - which probably isn't all that easy to get it too high in that application.

The ledge below is not too hard to deal with - frame the lower floor and raise it so there is no step. (some may see a single step like that as a violation and some may not, the wording is not all that clear either way)

The ledge above becomes a potential 110.26(E) violation of dedicated equipment space. If you don't want to deal with those potential problems there is nothing wrong with stacking as long as the highest breaker isn't too high - which probably isn't all that easy to get it too high in that application.
yea I think I'm going to try and stack the panels to avoid any height issues, even though 110.26 e says in existing dwellings not exceeding 200amps is suitable for heights below 6 1/2 feet of height

kwired

Electron manager
yea I think I'm going to try and stack the panels to avoid any height issues, even though 110.26 e says in existing dwellings not exceeding 200amps is suitable for heights below 6 1/2 feet of height

Nothing prohibits a panel from being installed right at the floor level, it just isn't all that common for smaller panels like you likely will be using, but go to a commercial/industrial place with some large panels and you sometimes about have to set them right on the floor or they are too tall otherwise. I set a couple I line panels last summer that were in 84" tall cabinets.

Nice looking job. Just curious how high are your meters? The pocos here want about 5' to the center of the meter.
Meters are 6'6" to the top if the cabinet. Pocos want them that high for driveways, I know this isn't considered a driveway but I like putting them this high just to be safe

kwired

Electron manager
Meters are 6'6" to the top if the cabinet. Pocos want them that high for driveways, I know this isn't considered a driveway but I like putting them this high just to be safe
That height is OK for most cars and light trucks, but what if the occupant owns a monster truck??:cool:

Or just a bigger commercial truck of about any type?

Status
Not open for further replies.