Spray foam/ recessed cans

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Have some Halo H7ICAT housings that are located in an attic space. HO was originally going to insulate attic with blown cellulose but now is going with expanding spray foam. Can these housings be directly encapsulated with the foam? I suggested building a cover over them, any thoughts.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Have some Halo H7ICAT housings that are located in an attic space. HO was originally going to insulate attic with blown cellulose but now is going with expanding spray foam. Can these housings be directly encapsulated with the foam? I suggested building a cover over them, any thoughts.
I could see problems if the foam extruded through screw holes or other openings in the enclosure. A sock over them rather than a rigid cover may be all that is needed.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

According to the cut sheet I found they are listed for direct contact with insulation. But I would say that it probably means batt insulation or blown in. not foam insulation.
To me that is asking for it. I would somehow box it in so foam could not seal it up. Seems like if foam is allowed to enclose it a lot of heat would be produced.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
According to the cut sheet I found they are listed for direct contact with insulation. But I would say that it probably means batt insulation or blown in. not foam insulation.
To me that is asking for it. I would somehow box it in so foam could not seal it up. Seems like if foam is allowed to enclose it a lot of heat would be produced.
I do not think that the testing standards could be relying on air flow through the insulation. Too variable, and as you say zero with closed cell foam.
The only heat dissipation you could count on would be conduction out the wiring and the trim.
But I have not looked at the standard or the instructions on IC cans.

cpinetree

Are you sure the foam is sprayed over the cans?
Most attics we deal with that are spray foamed, it is the roof side that is foamed not the ceiling side.

The attic then becomes a partially conditioned space. All ceiling batt / blown insulation is removed.

mwm1752

The attachment tells alot -- j box access is required

pdf.gif
NEMA Spray Foam and Luminaires.pdf (91.8 KB)

Attachments

• NEMA Spray Foam and Luminaires.pdf
    91.8 KB · Views: 2

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
The attachment tells alot -- j box access is required

pdf.gif
NEMA Spray Foam and Luminaires.pdf (91.8 KB)
Very helpful, thanks!

One thing it does not explicitly address is that even with a 3" gap to all surfaces the application of foam could still form an airtight insulated enclosure around the can, potentially causing thermal problems.

Common sense, based on knowing what is going in terms of heat transfer, as well as the instructions for individual fixtures, may also be necessary.

J.P.

Are you sure the foam is sprayed over the cans?
Most attics we deal with that are spray foamed, it is the roof side that is foamed not the ceiling side.

The attic then becomes a partially conditioned space. All ceiling batt / blown insulation is removed.

+1
The underside of the roof is usually sprayed. Your cans wouldn't be close to the insulation.

cadpoint

They make a dome from out of what looks like recycled material.

I think I'd box it out and cover up everything if spraying anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.