new construction pex plumbimg bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
my first encounter with the pex plumbing. its plastic underground from the street till about 5 feet from the house then copper up and into the house at about waist high then 90 up verticle of about 3 ft in interior wall then back to pex .
the water hose bibs are like this as well ...only copper where it comes through the sheer walls.

do we still go about traditional bonding procedures for this lame grounded system? thankyou in advance..

this is a new construction in southern ca. slab with proper ufer electrode for main panel.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
my first encounter with the pex plumbing. its plastic underground from the street till about 5 feet from the house then copper up and into the house at about waist high then 90 up verticle of about 3 ft in interior wall then back to pex .
the water hose bibs are like this as well ...only copper where it comes through the sheer walls.

do we still go about traditional bonding procedures for this lame grounded system? thankyou in advance..

this is a new construction in southern ca. slab with proper ufer electrode for main panel.

I suppose "bonding" was the proper term to use as you sure couldn't use the copper as an electrode because it doesn't have 10' in contact with the earth.
I don't think it would hurt to bond the section of copper, but I don't think it would be required, well not here anyway.
You should ask your inspector what your area requires.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Agree with others.

Sounds like there is about 10' total there. Someone may 'think' that 10' of copper makes it an electrode.

Do some checking on your end and let us know why they go poly to copper to pex.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My guess would be for mechanical mounting where the line goes through the walls or supports a hose fitting or valve.
Self supporting fittings are available but not in common use yet as adoption of Pex grows.

Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.