Arc Flash Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is an actual detailed arc flash study required?
Is it only when personnel work on energized equipment?
If the equipment is de-energized, then obviously a "study" is not required.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
When is an actual detailed arc flash study required?
Is it only when personnel work on energized equipment?
If the equipment is de-energized, then obviously a "study" is not required.

I do not see that as "obvious" at all.

I am not sure what you mean by a "detailed" arc flash study.

you will need to determine what the level of potential incident energy is anywhere you have the potential for someone to be exposed to it.

working on energized equipment includes such things as taking voltage measurements and this is going to be required just about everywhere in most electrical systems.

you can't determine the level of PPE required without knowing the incident energy that might be present. in some cases the potentially available incident energy might be so high as to be so dangerous that no amount of PPE would allow you to work on something energized. You need to know what the IE is determine if you are even going to be allowed to work on it energized.

Even things like testing to make sure something is deenergized might well be considered "energized" work.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not to mention that operating breakers or disconnects to de-energize the equipment may have an arc flash risk.
Without an arc flash study which includes the current source, that decision will have to be based on the default tables which may require more PPE than a study would call for.

Tapatalk!

Last edited:
Arc Flash study

Arc Flash study

I probably didn't phrase my question very well.
Does the NFPA or other codes required arc flash studies to be performed on all facilities regardless.
Is this a blanket requirement regardless if anyone is or is not working on energized equipment.
Thanks for your input.

zog

Yes, it is required as are the labels. Arc flash does nto only apply when working on exposed energized conductors. In fact, putting equipment in a safe working condition (Racking out breakers, checking voltage, etc.) requires proper arc flash PPE.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Does the NFPA or other codes required arc flash studies to be performed on all facilities regardless.

HMMMM.

The NEC does not require it, although it does require at least some locations have the available short circuit current marked and the available SCC is often determined as part of the arc flash study.

You might be able to concoct some scenario where it is not required in an industrial setting, but I can't think of how one might do so and remain compliant with applicable OSHA requirements.

But OSHA requirements are technically regulations and not "code".

So the answer to the question you asked might well be "no".

But, I think you may have asked the wrong question. They are not "required by code" but in all likelihood they are going to be required in order to comply with OSHA regulations.

Last edited:

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
OSHA requires that employers perform assessments of the hazards of the workplace in order to provide the proper PPE. Arc Flash is a known hazard and therefore requires an assessment.

There have been recent OSHA citations for these and in the citation OSHA mentions that NFPA 70E is helpful to perform the assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.