Licensing in Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRMTC

Not sure if this is the right forum, I did read some questions of a similar nature in this forum.

We are moving to Chattanooga, Tennessee as our permanent and retirement home. I am currently working in NC reciprocal under my unrestricted license I hold in GA.

My work in NC/GA is semi retired (I will be 65 this year) one man service oriented work on residential and light commercial. My understanding from looking over the requirements for electrical reciprocal licensing agreements, is that I would qualify to apply for a Tenn CE license without the requirement for a trade test (as I studied and passed the one in GA for unrestricted in the 80-'s) as long as I meet the other requirements.

My intention is to work in Tennessee in a semi retired fashion with a 3 day week part time job, pickup small residential service work on my off days and retire in 5 years when I am 70. Tenn's LLE limited license would not work for me as Chattanooga/Hamilton Co. does not recognize it and I sure don't relish the idea of taking another BIG trade test. My best understanding of Tennessee's requirements for options of licensing seems to make the CE license, which is similar to my unrestricted license in Ga, my only choice,. It appears from looking over Tennessee's licensing requirements that the CE license is really geared more toward a much larger and complex operation than I intend to operate, but I believe I meet all the qualifications to acquire legal status to work in Tennessee via a CE license.

Any ideas on any other options for my working as a one man operation legally (the only way I would work) in Chattanooga. Any feedback much appreciated.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Here is a State Publication on Reciprocation:
http://www.tn.gov/regboards/contractors/documents/BLCReciprocationwithTN.pdf

If you obtain a CE license with the State, The City of Chattanooga will issue you a City Electrical Contractors License without the requirement to take any exams. All charges ( $$ ) still apply.
Hamilton County will do likewise. The CE license stands on it's own for many (but not all) surrounding areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.