generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

I recently put a small generator panel, manual transfer switch in a customer's house. It's a 240V 30A power inlet plug that feeds the panel which feeds basic lights and receptacles. Customer called today and said they want to get a natural gas generator now to feed the range, A/C and some other things. My question is can he have two different generators with two different generator panels? Or would I have to eliminate the generator panel I put in last summer and upgrade it and size the natural gas generator for everything?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Since the two generators are unlikely capable of being paralleled, you will need at least a second ATS or manual switch feeding a different subpanel or circuit as well as a second plug or hard wired inlet connection.

Tapatalk!

Daja7

Since the two generators are unlikely capable of being paralleled, you will need at least a second ATS or manual switch feeding a different subpanel or circuit as well as a second plug or hard wired inlet connection.

Tapatalk!

yep. if going with a NG standby it is an entirely new install eliminate the manual part. Unless he wants a redundant back up.

ceb58

I think you will run into a problem with the neutrals. The best solution would be to install one generator that is capable of handling the load they want.

chevyx92

yep. if going with a NG standby it is an entirely new install eliminate the manual part. Unless he wants a redundant back up.

Can you have two different generators with two completely separate generator panels by code? I'm just concerned about if it's allowed or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Can you have two different generators with two completely separate generator panels by code? I'm just concerned about if it's allowed or not.
I just asked myself that same question, before I read this post. 230.2(A)(4) allows "additional services" for optional standby systems. Does the fact that the word "services" is plural mean that you can have more than one optional standby source, and more than one emergency source, and more than one legally required standby source, etc.? I don't think that is the intent of that word being plural. Nevertheless, I don't think having a second optional standby generator violates that article.

As to the design issues, as long as you have separate transfer switches, each with its own separate sub-panel, I don't see any problem with inappropriate connection of their neutrals.

earshavewalls

POCO may have an issue with multiple parallel sources of electrical on site. I would check first with the local POCO. They are mostly concerned with making sure that you cannot power the main panel when the utility is down and workers are working on the lines (you could send power back through the power lines, in theory). I would think that a larger genset that can cover everything they want would be a good idea.
I live in southern California and I see people wanting to use natural gas for their 'emergency' generators. The problem is, that if there is an event (earthquake) it is likely that the natural gas system will shut down, too. This may also be the case in VA (I think that's where the post came from) with hurricanes and/or flooding. Might want to consider propane or deisel as an option.....

Status
Not open for further replies.