PA, Which code cycle are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squaredan

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me, My Inspector had told me in the past ,that even though Pa State is under the 2008 code cycle,each town or city can adopt there own code cycle.. He told me a town, a couple of towns over from me ,works under the 2011 where another can be under 2008.. I have ask around and get different answers.. I know a town can Amend a code rule here and there but can they adopt the whole code book? Im under the idea that the cannot.. Can someone lead me in a right direction for this answer..Thanks

Dan

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In some cases where it is generally acknowledged that the earlier code cycle got something wrong, but there was never a TIA issued, some AHJs may informally follow the provisions of the next cycle.
There is no regulatory justification for that, but it happens. Especially where the new cycle is more "lenient".

Tapatalk!

david

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me, My Inspector had told me in the past ,that even though Pa State is under the 2008 code cycle,each town or city can adopt there own code cycle.. He told me a town, a couple of towns over from me ,works under the 2011 where another can be under 2008.. I have ask around and get different answers.. I know a town can Amend a code rule here and there but can they adopt the whole code book? Im under the idea that the cannot.. Can someone lead me in a right direction for this answer..Thanks

Dan

The pa uniform construction code references the 2009 international building code, NFPA 70-2008 is the referenced standard from the IBC 2009. (commercial)

The international residential building code includes a reference that you can use NFPA 70-2008 for one and two family dwellings and town houses. But the electrical provisions for one and two family dwellings and townhouses are included in the 2009 electrical provisions of the ICC residential building code.

The NFPA has the copy right to those provisions and they are supposed to be identical in content to NFPA 70?s 2008 residential provisions.

No a municipality cannot adopt any code cycle they choose in place of the uniform construction codes reference standards.

We are on tract to adopt the 2014 international building codes in 2015 (commercial)
As far as the residential that is still up in the air

squaredan

The pa uniform construction code references the 2009 international building code, NFPA 70-2008 is the referenced standard from the IBC 2009. (commercial)

The international residential building code includes a reference that you can use NFPA 70-2008 for one and two family dwellings and town houses. But the electrical provisions for one and two family dwellings and townhouses are included in the 2009 electrical provisions of the ICC residential building code.

The NFPA has the copy right to those provisions and they are supposed to be identical in content to NFPA 70?s 2008 residential provisions.

No a municipality cannot adopt any code cycle they choose in place of the uniform construction codes reference standards.

We are on tract to adopt the 2014 international building codes in 2015 (commercial)
As far as the residential that is still up in the air

Are you saying that there is a possibility that one day Pa could have two different electrical code cycles, One for commerical -2014 code, residential- 2008 code cycle??? And that would mean Pa would of skipped a code cycle- 2011 code..

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Are you saying that there is a possibility that one day Pa could have two different electrical code cycles, One for commerical -2014 code, residential- 2008 code cycle??? And that would mean Pa would of skipped a code cycle- 2011 code..
That looks to me like what he is saying, yes.

david

I am saying that is up to the RACK (review board that decides what provisions from the model building codes (international code council) will make their way and be included in the PA Uniform Construction Code.) The feedback I am getting from some board members is they are ok with the international building code (commercial) but there is a lot of discussion when it comes to the international residential code.

When you think about it we already have two electrical codes. When I give a correction order for commercial work I site NFPA 70-2008 and if I do it correctly for one and two family dwellings and town houses I am supposed to reference the 2009 international residential code section.

yes we are not going to adopt the 2011 NEC I should say reference NFPA 70- 2011

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.