Counting Fixture Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

When counting your J-Boxes for fixtures...say 1 box for every (2) 2x4's etc. do you figure boxes for your downlights? Most downlights already have the box connected to them so in my opinion no need to count for a box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You have to know the wiring method. You're probably not going to run EMT into a down light.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why? Would mc be okay? Is it against code to splice in the box attached to the down light ? Thanks

MC is fine and would not require additional junction boxes. If the job spec were EMT then you would need JB's beyond those attached to the downlight.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Why? Would mc be okay? Is it against code to splice in the box attached to the down light ? Thanks

MC is an accepted wiring method, unless the specifications require something else.
read your general notes and job specifications carefully before bidding. things are
becoming increasingly irrational with "best practices" folderol.

i've got a municipal job coming up, that prohibits any flex, mc, ac, or emt.

GRC when not in concrete, schedule 40 pvc in concrete. sealtight where flex connection needed,
not over 18" long.

no threadless or slip on fittings.

i just bought a new handheld threader by rems... it's gonna go a bit slower than an AC stripper.

J.P.

I worked on a high school a while back that didn't allow any thing but emt inside. Even through the stud walls. We were able to whip the lights with carlon.

Took forever, cost a fortune.

Joe Villani

MC is an accepted wiring method, unless the specifications require something else.
read your general notes and job specifications carefully before bidding. things are
becoming increasingly irrational with "best practices" folderol.

i've got a municipal job coming up, that prohibits any flex, mc, ac, or emt.

GRC when not in concrete, schedule 40 pvc in concrete. sealtight where flex connection needed,
not over 18" long.

no threadless or slip on fittings.

i just bought a new handheld threader by rems... it's gonna go a bit slower than an AC stripper.

Can I ask why you went with the rems brand versus say Rigid?

Thanks

Joe

mstrlucky74

MC is fine and would not require additional junction boxes. If the job spec were EMT then you would need JB's beyond those attached to the downlight.

Just curious as to why you would or could not run EMT directly into the DL j-boxes. Is it code or not practical? Thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Depends among other things on whether the fixture has to be dropped along with the attached junction box to get access to the box. That would be really hard with directly attached EMT.

Tapatalk!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Just curious as to why you would or could not run EMT directly into the DL j-boxes. Is it code or not practical? Thanks
Another issue is when lights are installed. In most commercial app's, the EMT and circuit conductors are installed way before the lighting even shows up on site. Can't make all the splices in the box and close it up if you still have one or more EMT and conductor runs to the fixtures... and you can't put them in because you don't know exactly where the fixture KO's are going to be located. Much easier to just have flexible whips ready and waiting, all splices made up except for in the fixtures themselves, and boxes closed up.

mstrlucky74

Another issue is when lights are installed. In most commercial app's, the EMT and circuit conductors are installed way before the lighting even shows up on site. Can't make all the splices in the box and close it up if you still have one or more EMT and conductor runs to the fixtures... and you can't put them in because you don't know exactly where the fixture KO's are going to be located. Much easier to just have flexible whips ready and waiting, all splices made up except for in the fixtures themselves, and boxes closed up.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.