Furniture Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dphillips

I'm working on a project located in Chicago IL. The GC is saying that our new modular furniture has to be ordered without electrical uninstalled. He's saying Chicago code reads a certified electrician must install all electrical jumpers in all furniture partition channels. Is this true? If so, what code addresses this? I have installed this same type furniture around the country and no other state has this requirement. In Seattle WA, we installed this type furniture and a certified electrician had to connect all jumper connections between partition, which I somewhat understand, but not install all jumpers in every partition furniture wall. They want to charge us $6k extra to do something that the furniture manufacture does for free. I find this out of the ordinary. I would like to hear what you think.

David

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Same thing in NYC, where it is common for the electrician to handle, move and install all of the electrical components.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Sounds to be a good way to protect electrician's jobs. Nevertheless, Chicago has the right to adopt their own requirements over and above the NEC.

Pass the cost on to the Owner. It is what it is.

jmargolis79

I have been told by many inspectors that the electrican should do all the wiring on office furniture per the NEC. I don't have a code book handy but their is a section about it. I would think that you could still order with the elec. in it but just have the sparkys do all of the connections and feeds.
I would think that in pieces in the furniture meet ul listed or something but the jumpers and feeds would still have to been done.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the electrical parts are not integral to the furniture and are field installed then the EC who is licensed and who took out the permit should install all of the electrical components.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the electrical parts are not integral to the furniture and are field installed then the EC who is licensed and who took out the permit should install all of the electrical components.

And if the electrical parts are available integral to the furniture, Chicago specifies that you cannot order them that way.
And so we have come full circle back to the OP (except for the double negative.) :)

Although I suppose that Chicago would be OK to have the parts shipped from the factory installed as long as a licensed electrician then removed them and reinstalled them in the field.

kwired

Electron manager
Can't say I have been around this kind of office furniture much at all, but isn't it usually listed equipment?
If so why aren't they rejecting every other item out there with electric wiring in it that is listed and saying it must be field wired by a qualified individual:slaphead:

iwire

Staff member

I think that is nuts.

The electrical jumpers, outlets, feed kits are all plug and play.

The final connection to the building wiring is hardwired and that is done by the EC around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.