Meter sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

Are meters sized to be 100% rated or do they have to be sized for 125% continuous + 100% noncontinuous loads. For instance would a 50A continuous load and 45A noncontinuous load require a 125A meter or 100A meter?

kwired

Electron manager
Are meters sized to be 100% rated or do they have to be sized for 125% continuous + 100% noncontinuous loads. For instance would a 50A continuous load and 45A noncontinuous load require a 125A meter or 100A meter?
meter socket ratings are continuous ratings. I don't think you will find a 100 amp meter socket, 125 amps is pretty much the standard size, then 200, 320, 400.

The meter that gets plugged into it can be a different story, but is generally not the contractors problem.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
meter socket ratings are continuous ratings. I don't think you will find a 100 amp meter socket, 125 amps is pretty much the standard size, then 200, 320, 400.

The meter that gets plugged into it can be a different story, but is generally not the contractors problem.

Where do you get your fully 400 amp rated meter bases?

kwired

Electron manager
Where do you get your fully 400 amp rated meter bases?
I believe they are a bolt in style meter instead of a plug in style meter. I think 320 continuous is largest plug in style you will find.

I can only recall actually installing just a couple bolt in type meter sockets, they may even be rated more than 400 amps. Most of the time if the capacity is over 400 amps though the POCO is going to use CT metering.

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I believe they are a bolt in style meter instead of a plug in style meter. I think 320 continuous is largest plug in style you will find.

I can only recall actually installing just a couple bolt in type meter sockets, they may even be rated more than 400 amps. Most of the time if the capacity is over 400 amps though the POCO is going to use CT metering.

Around here the power company will not CT unless the service is above 600 amps. I inquired about this and the Lineman I spoke toi indicated that their CT Metering is innaccurate at the lower amperages. They want to be sure theyre getting paid for every kilowatt used . That requires us to use 320 amp rated self contained meterbases up to 6oo amps and it gets very busy very quick inside the meter cans, especially on the 3 phase services.

kwired

Electron manager
Around here the power company will not CT unless the service is above 600 amps. I inquired about this and the Lineman I spoke toi indicated that their CT Metering is innaccurate at the lower amperages. They want to be sure theyre getting paid for every kilowatt used . That requires us to use 320 amp rated self contained meterbases up to 6oo amps and it gets very busy very quick inside the meter cans, especially on the 3 phase services.

The lineman is misinformed. It is more likely they don't want the investment in that equipment at the lower voltages when self contained metering is likely less costly for them. What happens if you have a 800 amp CT metering setup but is only loaded @ 100 amps? Just because it is a larger service doesn't mean it is loaded to its capacity continuously, maybe it is loaded hard during a certain period and then sits nearly idle for 10-12 hours before being loaded very heavy again.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The lineman is misinformed. It is more likely they don't want the investment in that equipment at the lower voltages when self contained metering is likely less costly for them. What happens if you have a 800 amp CT metering setup but is only loaded @ 100 amps? Just because it is a larger service doesn't mean it is loaded to its capacity continuously, maybe it is loaded hard during a certain period and then sits nearly idle for 10-12 hours before being loaded very heavy again.

I agree they're not fully loaded most of the time. I dont have an issue with it. They most likely dont want the investment in that equipment at the lower amperages not the lower voltages since this is the case regardless of wether its a 240 volt or 480 volt service.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree they're not fully loaded most of the time. I dont have an issue with it. They most likely dont want the investment in that equipment at the lower amperages not the lower voltages since this is the case regardless of wether its a 240 volt or 480 volt service.
I see I used the word voltages where I intended to use the word amperages in that earlier post:ashamed1:

Status
Not open for further replies.