680 Hot tubs and spas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I received a call today from someone that needs a 120 volt outlet installed on the side of the house in order to plug in their new hot tub/jacuzzi. I have installed other hot tubs and the installation was quite involved with equopotential bonding etc.

Are there outdoor spas available that can be operated in compliance with NEC that only require a 120 volt GFCI receptacle?

kwired

Electron manager
I received a call today from someone that needs a 120 volt outlet installed on the side of the house in order to plug in their new hot tub/jacuzzi. I have installed other hot tubs and the installation was quite involved with equopotential bonding etc.

Are there outdoor spas available that can be operated in compliance with NEC that only require a 120 volt GFCI receptacle?

I have one myself, comes from factory with a 5-15 cord cap molded on the cord. Not all that large of a SPA, only holds about 250 gallons of water and is only intended for 2 maybe 3 people at a time, however get a bunch of 9-13 year olds together and you may find it will accommodate many more than that:happyyes:. It only has 1250 watt heater and will not heat during jet pump usage, pump runs on a low speed during the heating cycle so it will not draw too much current from the branch circuit.

I think equipotential bonding is something good to consider but otherwise what is to prevent the average consumer from bringing this home and simply plugging it in if there is already a receptacle near where they wish to use it? Why would you need a building permit, electrical or plumbing permit for such unit, unless you actually added something for the use by this unit. One could install a receptacle then some time later it just so happens to be convenient to plug said unit into, but the receptacle alone did not require anything in art 680 to be followed at the time of it's installation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I have installed many. Odd though because you must install an outlet that is gfci protected and the units usually come with a gfci cord cap on them

kwired

Electron manager
I have installed many. Odd though because you must install an outlet that is gfci protected and the units usually come with a gfci cord cap on them
They are afraid you will install one of those no name GFCI's that only cost $4.00;)

Now find a WP in use cover that the GFCI cord cap will fit in.:huh:

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Installation instructions

Installation instructions

Maybe the installation instructions state: "electrical connections but comply applicable codes. Consult with qualified electrician."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
They are afraid you will install one of those no name GFCI's that only cost $4.00;)

Now find a WP in use cover that the GFCI cord cap will fit in.:huh:

I have used a pvc box with the receptacle inside. I notch the front bottom of the box just enough for the cord.

kwired

Electron manager
Pretty clever but is it legal? I mean cord to be installed into the box in that manner?
Exactly what is done with a WP while in use cover. Somewhere you have to draw the line at what is considered passing the cord through what may be considered part of the building finish to comply with the WP while in use cover requirement. I don't see this PVC box would be there if not for the receptacle, I would also assume the receptacle is installed within the PVC box in a manner that doesn't expose users to open wiring or live terminals, like in another box within or flush with the back wall with standard trim plate installed on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.