Mixing low and high voltage in same control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hstimer

I have low voltage controllers, controlling both low (12-24vdc), and high (110ac) voltages. The loads are all household hardwired lighting.

Can wiring be intermixed, or are there separation rules that must be followed, and if so, then what are the rules?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Control Panels are often designed and built to a different Code than the NEC as they are normally required to be NRTL listed to those standards.
If it is being designed to NEC standards I believe Art 725 will be your guide.

hstimer

Thank you, augie47. If it was a commercial project that I was building then, NRTL would be the way to go. I'm just not sure which code applies for a one off home project.

I suppose, I should go with 725.

mgookin

Look at it this way.
Often a 24vdc signal will switch a relay which is switching a load that's operating at 120vac, 277vac, 480vac, etc.
If we can have that relay in the panel/ cabinet/ etc. then I think the question is answered.
Anyone disagree?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Maybe.
Just saying 24VDC is not enough. You need to define the power level and that determines if seperation is required. Example the 24 VDC could be an Art 725 Class 1 circuit then no seperation is required, if functionally related.
But if the 24VDC is an Art 725 Class 2 circuit then it can be in the same enclosure but seperation is required, regardless of insulation voltage rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.