HFC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpatel612

we are performing work at an MRI suite. Do i need to install Healthcare Facility cable for all the branch lighting? Also, does all wiring going to the patient head wall need to be installed in conduit?

david

Also, does all wiring going to the patient head wall need to be installed in conduit?

Flexible metal conduit can be used in a prefabricated head wall no longer than six ft in length provided a insulated equipment ground is also installed in the conduit supplying the headwall circuits

517.30 Essential Electrical Systems for Hospitals. (C) Wiring Requirements.
(3) Mechanical Protection of the Emergency System. The wiring of the emergency system in hospitals shall be mechanically protected. Where installed as branch circuits in patient care areas, the installation shall comply with the requirements of 517.13(A) and (B). The following wiring methods shall be permitted:
(3) Listed flexible metal raceways and listed metal sheathed cable assemblies in any of the following: a. Where used in listed prefabricated medical headwalls
517.13 Grounding of Receptacles and Fixed Electrical Equipment in Patient Care Areas. (A) Wiring Methods. All branch circuits serving patient care areas shall be provided with an effective ground-fault current path by installation in a metal raceway system, or a cable having a metallic armor or sheath assembly. The metal raceway system, or metallic cable armor, or sheath assembly shall itself qualify as an equipment grounding conductor in accordance with 250.118.
250.118 Types of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
(5) Listed flexible metal conduit meeting all the following conditions:
a. The conduit is terminated in listed fittings.
b. The circuit conductors contained in the conduit are protected by overcurrent devices rated at 20 amperes or less.
c. The combined length of flexible metal conduit and flexible metallic tubing and liquidtight flexible metal conduit in the same ground return path does not exceed 1.8 m (6 ft).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
David, 517.30 is only pertaing to Essential Systems. Listed flexible wiring methods can be used for Normal Power in patient care areas.

My question is, is there really a headwall in this MRI room?

As far as using HFC for the lighting in this space, if the fixtures are above 7.5' the answer is no but, the method used will have to comply with 517.13(A).

You just do not need an insulated EGC, see Exception 2 to 517.13(B)

And if the manufacturer requires something else things could change.

Many MRI's call for DC lighting.

Roger

Last edited:

david

David, 517.30 is only pertaing to Essential Systems. Listed flexible wiring methods can be used for Normal Power in patient care areas.

My question is, is there really a headwall in this MRI room?

As far as using HFC for the lighting in this space, if the fixtures are above 7.5' the answer is no but, the method used will have to comply with 517.13(A).

You just do not need an insulated EGC, see Exception 2 to 517.13(B)

And if the manufacturer requires something else things could change.

Many MRI's call for DC lighting.

Roger

I agree that is why I was careful to say prefabricated headwalls. I have never seen a head wall that did not have provisions for receptacles from both the normal and essential branches.
I was addressing the essential branch and I think we are both saying that a prefabricated head wall can be supplied using listed hospital grade MC (ac) cable in a prefab headwall

I took the ? two be two different questions I do not think the headwall ? had to do with the MRI room

Last edited:

dpatel612

I agree that is why I was careful to say prefabricated headwalls. I have never seen a head wall that did not have provisions for receptacles from both the normal and essential branches.
I was addressing the essential branch and I think we are both saying that a prefabricated head wall can be supplied using listed hospital grade MC (ac) cable in a prefab headwall

I took the ? two be two different questions I do not think the headwall ? had to do with the MRI room

correct i am asking 2 different questions:
1. is conduit required to serve receptacles/lights in a patient head wall
2. is HFC cable require for ALL lighting branch wiring throughout the patient care areas above 8' hung ceiling. i understand it's not required in the administration, lobby/waiting areas.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
correct i am asking 2 different questions:
1. is conduit required to serve receptacles/lights in a patient head wall
2. is HFC cable require for ALL lighting branch wiring throughout the patient care areas above 8' hung ceiling. i understand it's not required in the administration, lobby/waiting areas.

Have you read 517.13 (A) & (B) and 250.118 as pointed out earlier?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.