Secondary from TS to 6 meter sockets, to 6 dwelling units. Need disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yea or Na.

What is "TS"? Hope it is not transfer switch. I think you mean transformer secondary.

If you just mean do you need a main ahead the 6 meters, no, you could use a MLO meter center with the breakers on the load side of the meters as the service disconnects since you are not exceeding six.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
For starters, I don't know what TS stands for. But every building needs a disconnecting means. If the 6 dwelling units are separate buildings, then you need a disconnect for each. If they are within the same building, then you can have one disconnect shut off the entire building. But that would not be a good design. So exactly what are you asking?

Hendrix

For starters, I don't know what TS stands for. But every building needs a disconnecting means. If the 6 dwelling units are separate buildings, then you need a disconnect for each. If they are within the same building, then you can have one disconnect shut off the entire building. But that would not be a good design. So exactly what are you asking?
Sorry I meant transformer.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am not sure that works. I think 240.21(C)(4) is the article that applies. It tells me that each of the six feeders leaving the transformer must land on an overcurrent device. Landing on a meter socket, and going from there to a disconnect (which I assume you intended to be fused), is not the same as landing on the fused disconnect itself. I would be interested in seeing other views on this question.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The whole question was kind of cloudy, wasn't it.

From the transformer secondary, to 6ix meter sockets, to six non attached dwellings with a main disconnect being at each dwelling instead of at the meters.

I guess I misunderstood too as I assumed a 6 unit single building.

You could do without the main and put a main at each building and be compliant. You would then have service conductors to each building instead of a feeder and each building would have a separate service. But you better check with your POCO first as they may not allow it (many won't).

Hendrix

I guess I misunderstood too as I assumed a 6 unit single building.

You could do without the main and put a main at each building and be compliant. You would then have service conductors to each building instead of a feeder and each building would have a separate service. But you better check with your POCO first as they may not allow it (many won't).
They are "heating it up" as we speak. I guess they allow it.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
They are "heating it up" as we speak. I guess they allow it.
It is allowed... but the sections of Code involved depend on whether transformer is service (POCO or consumer owned) or a separately derived system. For the former, service conductor rules apply. For the latter, tap rules of 240.21(C) apply.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
What is "TS"? Hope it is not transfer switch. I think you mean transformer secondary.

If you just mean do you need a main ahead the 6 meters, no, you could use a MLO meter center with the breakers on the load side of the meters as the service disconnects since you are not exceeding six.

What if you had 7 or 8 meters on the back of a Single Bulidling that serviced 7 or 8 tennants in the same building? would you need a single main in the tap box of the Meter Center or not?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What if you had 7 or 8 meters on the back of a Single Bulidling that serviced 7 or 8 tennants in the same building? would you need a single main in the tap box of the Meter Center or not?

I would think yes, 230.71.
I'm going to go with "not necessarily". Consider that each is a permitted service entrance conductor and also subject to two to six disconnect grouping.

If you put a main ahead of the building, wouldn't you be supplying the building with more than one feeder???

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'm going to go with "not necessarily". Consider that each is a permitted service entrance conductor and also subject to two to six disconnect grouping.

If you put a main ahead of the building, wouldn't you be supplying the building with more than one feeder???

A local power company here considers their service conductors being all the way to the line side of the meter.
This holds true for a Singel Self Contained Meter Main or 1, 6, 10 or 20 Meter Mains in a Group Metering Setup.
On services below 480 volt they will not allow a service disconnect ahead of the meter.
They consider the buss bars in a group metering system to be service conductors, and will not allow us to install a disconnect or Overcurrent device between their service conductors and the Line Side of the meters.

For example. We had a 1600 Amp Group Metering setup with (8) 200 amp meter mains and (1) 1600 amp Main Breaker in the Tap Box.
When it came time to energize the service the power company would not energize the group metering setup until the 1600 amp breaker was removed and we had to bussbar jumper around where it was.
They said they wouldnt allow a disconnect ahead of the group metering setup no more than they would if we had 10 individual Meter and fused disconnects setup on the back wall
where they would daisy chain the overhead service to each individual weatherhead.

Although questionable to me, around here you can see group metering setups that have a lot more than 6 movements without a single means of disconnect fot the entire service.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You're changing the parameters vs. the OP. Hard to get into specifics without getting issues confused. If you want to discuss this, suggest you start a new thread.

Thanks for suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.