GFI recepatcle on branch circuit protected by a GFI breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

Is the above code compliant? I searched the NEC 2005 and can not find any thing that would not allow it. Personally I don't like it, if you trip the receptacle, and you try to reset and it wont because the breaker in the panel is also tripped. The home owner is suppose to know that he /she has to reset in two places?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I also do not like the concept, but it would not be a violation. As to the convenience to the homeowner, that is not a consideration of the code.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is the above code compliant? I searched the NEC 2005 and can not find any thing that would not allow it. Personally I don't like it, if you trip the receptacle, and you try to reset and it wont because the breaker in the panel is also tripped. The home owner is suppose to know that he /she has to reset in two places?

Why would it trip at both locations? What if the receptacle failed to work as some of the first generation ones did?

Why not just change the breaker?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with the others that it is not an issue. I also doubt that both the gfci breaker and receptacle will trip simultaneously. I have seen it many times as well as with afci and gfci on the same circuit.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

You'll have that same issue wether its a standard or a Gfi Breaker ahead of the GFI Receptacle.
Most GFI's wont reset unless they have power applied to them.
My toaster handle wont even stay down until its plugged in.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You'll have that same issue wether its a standard or a Gfi Breaker ahead of the GFI Receptacle.
Most GFI's wont reset unless they have power applied to them.
My toaster handle wont even stay down until its plugged in.

The gfci's I use reset without power. They will not trip on test without power but they will reset. I use P&S -- I suspect the others are similar but not certain

VIC1958

The inspection that I was on, both receptacle and breaker tripped. Neither the contractor nor the H/O knew that a GFCI breaker was in the panel. The receptacle would not reset until we reset the breaker, it just seems that if the GFCI receptacle has a reset button, then it should reset and you should be able to use it as designed without hunting around to find or not find another GFCI breaker/receptacle upstream.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The inspection that I was on, both receptacle and breaker tripped. Neither the contractor nor the H/O knew that a GFCI breaker was in the panel. The receptacle would not reset until we reset the breaker, it just seems that if the GFCI receptacle has a reset button, then it should reset and you should be able to use it as designed without hunting around to find or not find another GFCI breaker/receptacle upstream.

That pretty well shows that you had a GFI Receptacle that would not reset unless it had power applied to it.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Not uncommon.

The only way you could remove the GFI in the Panel and install a standard breaker would be if you knew for certain that the GFI Receptacle was installed in the first outlet of the branch Circuit to protect everything downstream.

I would think you'd be better off changing the receptacle out to a Standard Receptacle since the GFI Breaker is already protecting the Circuit.

VIC1958

I just wish there was something in the code to hang my hat on to prevent installs like this. Maybe next cycle.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I just wish there was something in the code to hang my hat on to prevent installs like this. Maybe next cycle.

To me it sounds like this may have happened by accident, since You the inspector, a Contractor and a Homeowner are envolved it sounds like an addition or a remodel.
I dont know of anyone who would knowingly install a GFI Receptacle and then back it by a GFI Breaker.

Did you ever find out what made both of them trip ? a nearby thunderstorm maybe . :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The tripping of a GFCI, either receptacle or breaker, is similar to the instantaneous trip of a conventional breaker rather than the thermal trip.
It is not unexpected for the same event to set the trigger in motion for both devices in series. That would end up with both triggering mechanically even if one of them actually opens first.
If the trigger event were a lightning induced surge or an actual device fault should not make a difference either way.

Tapatalk!

Last edited:

VIC1958

The GFCI breaker has been in the panel since the house was built. The bathroom was remodeled and the electrician put the GFCI receptacle in. I tested the receptacle with a tester and it tripped both.

Status
Not open for further replies.