Central network splitter board ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I received a Spec sheet for a new residential build and one of the items listed is:" Cable and internet/phone wiring throughout plus central network splitter board". I don't usually install anything other than RG6 and 4 pair cat5 cable, what would the network splitter board consist of?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
To me that would just be a piece of plywood on which to mount a bunch of cable splitter/combiners and maybe amplifiers.
But for CAT5 you may also need to mount (rack?) and power switches and/or bridges.

I just installed four receptacles on a plywood wall of the accessible attic when I remodeled my house.
All of the cables (RF, CAT4 for phone, CAT5 for network, as well as intercom prewire came to that point and were home runs, including two cables from the roof jack and access box for Comcast to use. And two CAT4 from the Telco demark.

Tapatalk!

Last edited:

nizak

Overall, it seems quite vague as to what they want. "throughout" could mean 1 opening per room or 1 opening on each wall in each room. I will have to get particulars from either the owner or home designer. In the past I have always brought home runs from each location to a central accessible point and let the phone/internet/cable provider work their magic. Thanks.

J.P.

Splitter board? I'm thinking switch or switches. Maybe racks depending on how much cable you dropped there.

I would run a #6 over there for a grounding bar just in case some joker wants it later.......

Most manufacturers that provide VDV equipment offer a central box where all the home runs interface with in coming services. A few that come to mind are "Legrand, Leviton".

PJHolguin :cool:

Overall, it seems quite vague as to what they want. "throughout" could mean 1 opening per room or 1 opening on each wall in each room. I will have to get particulars from either the owner or home designer. In the past I have always brought home runs from each location to a central accessible point and let the phone/internet/cable provider work their magic. Thanks.

Rampage_Rick

"Central network splitter board" is probably just a poor man's structured media panel, i.e. plywood. Basically they just want all the wires homerun to a central location and a place to mount any necessary equipment.

Around here they've started asking for the homeruns to terminate in a heated part of the home, as opposed to the usual spot in the garage. The newer phone modems (cable, fiber, etc) all use backup batteries in case of a power failure and they don't fare well in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.