Grounding Connection Above Ground Required to be Exothermic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Beahm

New User
I work at an electric utility that uses 1500HP4160V electric motors for circulating water. The external equipmentground is mechanical lug from the motor that splices via exothermic weld to themain grounding conductor that makes it way to cable tray and finally to theground grid that covers the entire plant.

The exothermic weld needs to be replaced. Since thisis above ground will a mechanical connection (split bolt) rated for theconductor size be acceptable?
I thank you in advance for your response.

Sincerely,
Bill

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That sounds like just an external bonding connection that is not required by the code and there are no code rules that cover it.
There must be an EGC run with the circuit conductors and the bonding conductor does not eliminate the need for the Equipment Grounding Conductor. Equipment grounding conductors do not require the use of "irreversible" splicing methods.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Maybe not. But the NEC would be a good rule of thumb to follow in most situations.

When I worked at the power plants, there were engineers that dictated what type of connections we used. Most everything we did there was built way above NEC standards. Before I replaced an exothermic connection with another kind I would seek the advice (or permission) of someone in engineering from the utility company.

Status
Not open for further replies.