Indoor gun range lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesla six

Occupation
Licensed Electrician
A local gun range is going to have me completely replace the lighting and switches for the target areas. Has anyone had experience they may be willing to share. Also I think the raceway will be somewhat protected, by location, but I thought running it in Rigid down range would be a good start at protecting the conductors. I think most of the lights and raceway are somewhat protected from physical damage by the way the place is built looking down range but there's always the chance of back splash or the case of a negligent discharge that I feel should be considered.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Since it is an existing gun range I would think there would be evidence of shot placement either intended or in error. I would avoid putting anything electrical in those areas.

Local gun club here just has four foot fluorescent wraps out in the general area and the target area has lights mounted up high in front of the targets, kind of like stage lighting. Everything is in EMT.

dereckbc

Staff member
How long or deep is the range tunnel?

Never built one but all Bass Pro Shops I have been in have a gun range for the gunsmith to bore site and zero in scopes. The tunnel as I would call it is painted flat black, and the lighting is directly above and to the side of the shooter. They use spot/flood light to illuminate the target. Only thing you can see is the target lit up light a Christmas tree. No glare or reflections.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I would expect most of the conduit to be embedded as it sits. The one indoor range I've seen (should be getting C.O. any day now) has a bunch of 4' strips on the ceiling, nothing special.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
the gun club I belong to has all EMT. It is up above steel baffle plates. a lot of splatter but no issues with the EMT being damaged.

the down range lights are replaced periodically. nothing we have found works forever. the splatter eventually kills any light.

glass spotlights to illuminate the targets seem to work best. they are all covered with 1/8" mesh hardware cloth.

mgookin

Utilities use bullet resistant covers in high crime areas where the drug dealers shoot out the street lights. I realize the question is about the wiring, not the lights, but thought I'd throw this out there.

kwired

Electron manager
Utilities use bullet resistant covers in high crime areas where the drug dealers shoot out the street lights. I realize the question is about the wiring, not the lights, but thought I'd throw this out there.
Would kind of depend on what kind of weapon they decide is what they want protection from, just like military has light armor vehicles and heavy armor vehicles, and even the heavy armor vehicles are not immune to all possible weapons that may be encountered.

Status
Not open for further replies.